What should I do if I come across a needle in the community?
If needles are found on public property, please contact Dispatch:
- 519-661-2489 ext. 4965
- This phone line is answered 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.
For additional information regarding syringe recovery and stationary needle bins visit City of London Parks Needle Bins and Syringe Recovery
What should I do if I come across a needle on private property?
- Use caution. Treat all found needles and other sharps as contaminated. Do not try to put the cap back on a needle.
- If you do not have a specialized sharps disposal container, you will need a non-breakable, puncture-proof container with a lid (e.g. a hard plastic container or tin can).
- Do not touch the sharp with your bare hands.
- Use tongs, pliers or tweezers to pick up the sharp. It is best to also wear gloves. Always hold sharp or cutting edges down and away from you.
- Put the container on a stable surface next to the sharp. Do not hold the container in your hand when placing the sharp inside. If picking up a needle, put the needle in the container point down. Do not force sharps into the container or overfill it.
- Close the container securely.
- Wash hands with soap and water and/or an alcohol-based hand rub after all handling sharps, containers, used equipment, and after removing gloves.
- Teach children to never touch sharps but to tell an adult what they found and where.