Finding savings in your laundry
Everyone has to wash their clothes. It's important to be as water efficient as possible when doing so. Washing full loads of laundry with a high efficiency front-loading washing machine is the best way to conserve water.
Washing machines: Did you know?
- A traditional washing machine uses approximately 190 L of water to wash a large load.
- In contrast, a high efficiency washing machine can save you up to 100 L per large load of laundry.
Small things you can do to make a big difference:
- Be as water efficient as possible: use the load selector to match the water level required for the size of the load.
- Try to wash full loads, if a load selection is not possible. This will help you save money, water, energy and detergent.
- When buying a new washing machine, consider purchasing a front-loading model. These machines use less water, less energy, less soap and are gentler on your clothes.
- Use cold water as often as possible. You'll save money and conserve hot water for other uses. In addition, cold water washes do less damage to clothes.
- Use environmentally friendly detergents that have no phosphate and are biodegradable.
- Check for and repair any leaks around the washing machine taps and hoses