With recent funding commitments from the Government of Canada and the Province of Ontario to support 10 transit and transit-supportive projects in London, the City is now in the detailed design phase for the Downtown Loop.
The Loop, which will frame Dundas Place, running buses along Queens Avenue, King Street, Ridout Street, and Wellington Street, is scheduled for phased construction from 2021 to 2023.
The project will add rapid transit elements and transportation improvements above ground to ease congestion and improve safety and efficiency, while repairing and replacing aging sewers and underground infrastructure.
Scope of project
- The project will formalize transit operations already in place, improving traffic capacity in general traffic lanes and revitalizing 2 km of streets surrounding Dundas Place.
- The project will move buses into their own curbside lane and give them a left-turn priority signal. This mean they will no longer have to weave in and out of general traffic, improving safety and capacity for all road users in the core.
- While rebuilding the roads, the project will address necessary underground work, including replacing aging sewers and watermains to accommodate future growth.
- Existing vehicle lanes will be maintained and bus lanes will not be enclosed by concrete medians.
- Cycling will be moved from King Street onto Dundas Place, which is designed to more safely handle cycling and pedestrian traffic.
The project is scheduled for phased construction from 2021 to 2023. Just like any other City road project, construction will improve short stretches of road at a time, with lots of advance communication and notice to impacted residents and businesses in the area.
Get project updates
Are you directly impacted by the project?
If you live, work or own property in the immediate area, please help us ensure we have accurate contact information for you by completing the contact form.
Not directly impacted, but still want to be informed?
You can receive email updates about the project by subscribing to our mailing list.