Estimated Cost: $8.2 million
Projected Timeline: 2020 – 2022
Funding Status: Project has received funding support from Government of Canada and Government of Ontario.
Dundas Street East between Adelaide and Ontario Streets in Old East Village (OEV) is a dense commercial area with high transit ridership. To help provide a safe, pedestrian-friendly environment with access to transit connections, this project would improve the streetscape while simultaneously addressing necessary underground work, including replacing and upgrading utilities, aging sewers and watermains.
Wider boulevards and trees would be added, along with active transportation amenities and enhanced pedestrian street lighting on north-south connections. These enhancements would improve safety while facilitating better access between Dundas Street, the proposed rapid transit corridor on King Street and recently upgraded park-and-ride parking in the OEV.
Work Required to Complete this Project:
- Construct a new Dundas Street streetscape, in coordination with necessary underground infrastructure upgrades (watermains, storm and sanitary sewers)
- Add urban design components, including trees
- Community consultation would be required and essential to the project.
- The design of the streetscape would be informed by the current secondary plan and bikeway assessment.
- Improving north-south transit-friendly connections would require further assessment.
Funding Eligibility Criteria:
- Improved transit access