Paying your taxes by pre-authorized payments means eliminating the chore of writing cheques and ensuring your payment reaches City Hall by the due date. You'll never have to worry about remembering to make a payment or the cost of postage or a possible late fee.
Things to Know
- For the year 2020 only, the last five (5) pre-authorized payment dates have been delayed because of COVID-19. There will be no pre-authorized withdrawals in June and July. The last five (5) withdrawal dates in 2020 will be August 31st, September 30th, October 30th, November 30th, and December 15th. The regular schedule for payments will return in 2021.
- There are no service charges or fees for enrolling in the plan. All that's required is completing and submitting the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Authorization Agreement, along with a void cheque;
- You can obtain an on-line application form using the link above or on the right side of this page, or call our offices at 519-661-4540;
- After enrolling, please provide immediate written notification of any change in your banking information using the Account Information Change for Pre-Authorized Payment Plan form. This form should also be used if you wish to cancel your Pre-Authorized Payment Plan.
How Does the Plan Work?
Payments are deducted from your bank account on the last business day of the month. The payments are taken over 10 months - January through to October - and cover the interim and final tax bills.
There are no payments in November or December and the program automatically starts again the following January.
Note: The first five payments (January-May) will be an estimated, equal monthly amount. When the amount of the Final Bill is determined, the monthly payment may be adjusted. The last five payments (June- October) reflect the tax rate and assessment for the year, minus the payments already received.
Supplementary taxes for new construction or improvements will not be covered by the Pre-authorized Payment Plan and must be paid separately.
When Can I Sign Up and When Do Payments Start?
There are several start dates.
- To start in January an application must be received by the City's Tax Office by November 18. Applications received after November 18 will not be in time for payment deductions to begin in January.
- To begin in June an application must be received by the Tax Office by May 15. Applications received after May 15 will not be in time to start June payment deductions.
- To start in March, July, August, September or October, the property owner must have an application in the City Tax Office prior to the first day of the applicable month and the property owner must have no past due taxes as of the first day of the applicable month.
If you miss one of the plan start up dates, you will be required to pay your regular tax installments until the next plan start up date.
How Do I Enrol?
Complete and sign the Pre-Authorized Payment Plan Authorization Agreement. If you own more than one property, a separate Authorization Agreement is required for each property. Note: In order to participate in the program, all taxes must be fully paid to date.
- Mark VOID and attach an unsigned cheque, encoded with your bank transit number and account number, to the Agreement. Please use bank accounts only.
- Return the completed agreement and void cheque to:
Finance, City of London, Room 407
300 Dufferin Avenue, P.O. Box 5256
London, ON N6A 5M6
Or fax these documents to 519-661-6518, Attention: Transfer Clerk
Or e-mail scanned documents to firstname.lastname@example.org