The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Social Housing FAQ

Expand All
Collapse All
  • What is Rent-geared-to-income (RGI)?

    It is rent that is based directly on the tenant's income, usually 30 percent of the gross monthly household income.

  • Who is eligible for RGI housing?

    To be eligible for RGI housing applicants income must be below the Household Income Limits as per O. Reg. 370/11, S.2 and must be:

    • 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently.
    • Each member must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or Refugee Claimant.
    • No member of a household has a deportation order, departure or exclusion order under Immigration Act.
    • No member of the household owes arrears, for either rent or damage to any Ontario social housing units.
  • How to apply for RGI housing?

    To apply for RGI housing you need to submit an application package that consists of an Application Form and a Building Selection Form.  You can go to our website at to download and print the application package or pick one up at HAC office at Citi Plaza, 355 Wellington Street, Suite 248 or call 519-661-0861. All applications have instructions on how to complete and the documents required, and where to send it.

    NOTE: Incomplete Applications without all required documents will NOT be accepted.

  • Do you have to be living in the City of London to apply for RGI housing?

    No, you can apply for RGI housing in the city of London and live outside the area.

  • Can I apply for RGI housing if I’m a homeowner or own a property?

    Yes, you may be eligible for RGI housing provided that you sell your home or property within six (6) months of accepting an offer to move to an RGI housing unit. However, you will be asked to complete a Divestment Form in which you agree to sell your home/property.

  • I don’t have an income, am I eligible to apply for RGI housing?

    No. Individuals 16 years or older applying for RGI housing must be in receipt of income to qualify for RGI housing from one or more of the following sources such as:

    • Ontario Works,
    • Support payments,
    • Employment Insurance,
    • other government assistance,
    • any pension or support payments required under a sponsorship agreement.

    Failure to have an income would make the application ineligible.

  • When will I hear something about my application for RGI housing?

    All applications for RGI housing are reviewed by a HAC staff for completeness within seven (7) business days of receiving your application. If your application is incomplete, a letter will be mailed to you on what further information is needed.  For a complete application, you will be notified by mail within thirty (30) days of receiving your application to determine your eligibility status under the Housing Service Act.

  • Who do I notify if I have changes to my housing RGI application?

    You MUST notify HAC office (519-661-0861) of any changes such as your address, phone number, changes in the selection of locations other than those you chose on your initial application, the number of people in your household increases or decreases and/or change of contact person, etc. This is in order to maintain your eligibility status.

  • How long does it take to get housing?

    It is very difficult to determine how long it will take to be housed. The Housing Access Centre does not offer housing to applicants nor predict or guess when you will be housed. A Housing Provider must have a vacant unit in order for it to be filled from the waitlist. It is encouraged to choose as many building complexes as you wish.

  • How does the waiting list work?

    There is a centralized waitlist of all applicants eligible for RGI assistance housing and once you are eligible, HAC will add you to this list that is based on the date that we received your application. This means that your name will be added to the waiting list for all the locations you selected on the building selection form and you will be offered housing when you are #1 on this waiting list through the housing providers/landlords that you selected.

  • How long is the waiting list?

    Each housing provider has their own waitlist and there is a different waitlist for each building and then a different waitlist according to bedroom size. It can take several years to get RGI housing because of the high number of applicants on the waiting list.

  • How will I be contacted for an offer?

    The housing providers/Landlord will contact you directly by telephone when you reach the top of the waiting list for one of the buildings you selected.

  • What happens if I cannot be reached?

    You have 48hrs to respond, if you don’t respond, the housing provider will move to the next person on the waiting list. This will be considered a refusal of the offer.

  • How many ‘refusals of offer’ do I get?

    You get a maximum of three (3) 'refusals of offer' for housing. If you exhaust all three by refusing a unit when offered or cannot be reached or no return phone calls for the offered unit, your application will be canceled at the time of the third refusal and you will be removed from the waitlist.

  • How much rent should I expect to pay?

    Your rent will be assessed at 30% of your household gross monthly income. Additional charges may apply depending on the building (e.g. parking/utilities). If you are receiving assistance from Ontario Works or ODSP, your rent is based on a pre-determined rent scale.

Expand All
Collapse All
  • What should I do if I need housing right away because I am currently homeless or living in accommodations which do not suit my medical needs?

    None of the housing providers participating in the centralized waiting list have "emergency" housing. No units are kept vacant for a client in urgent need of housing. At HAC there are some urgent statuses one could apply for.

    PLEASE NOTE: The Housing Access Centre does not provide emergency shelters or housing.  For a brochure on emergency shelters in London and Middlesex County call us to have one mail to you or call 211 for assistance. 

  • What are some of the urgent statuses one could apply for?

    There are a number of additional application forms for applicants who are in urgent need of housing:

    1) Special Priority Status.

    2) Urgent Statuses that consists of Urgent  Social, Homeless, and Medical

    To be considered for any of these statuses, applicants must fill out the appropriate application form that best suits their needs and submits to HAC. For a definition of each status, please visit our website.

  • What do people do in the meantime? Where do they go?

    For many people, their biggest expense is rent. HAC has created some information such as booklets and brochures that may help individuals and families while on the waiting list on where they could find some low-end market rent that is cheaper than the private market rentals; a list of housing referrals
    services; and list of affordable housing. We invite you to visit our website or call to have one mail for you.

  • Can I appeal any decision made by the Housing Access Centre regarding my application?

    Yes, you have the right to appeal any decision made by the Housing Access Centre by simply filling out the “Request for Internal Review” form and submit to the Housing Access Centre including a copy of the written Notice of Decision letter that you received. A letter responding to your appeal will be sent to you once a decision has been made.

  • What documents are required for RGI housing?

    Documents required are:

    · Copies of Canadian birth certificates or a valid Canadian passport, landed immigrant, permanent resident card or refugee claimant documents.

    · Custody documentation or agreement (i.e. Court/ lawyers/CAS, ex-partner, etc.) showing that you have the child(ren) 50% or more in your care.

    · Copy of a repayment agreement for anyone in your household in arrears to an Ontario social housing (You will not be offered RGI housing until the entire arrears amount is paid in full).

    · Copies of all household gross monthly income. For self-employment provide proof of income such as your latest income tax, investment interest income, RRIF, pay stubs, monthly transaction statements, etc.

    · If pregnant, provide proof of pregnancy such as a doctor’s note or ultrasound picture.

  • Can a landlord decline me for an RGI unit?

    Yes. Landlords require good or fair credit reports before offering a unit to you. This will not be counted as a refusal of the offer if you were/are declined.