Odour Issues and Related Matters from Waste Management and Industrial Facilities in South London
The purpose of this webpage is to make available public information and statistics from the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change regarding odour issues and related matters from selected waste management facilities in south London. The page will be maintained for a two-year period beginning in January 2018.
Geographical Area Being Reported
The area being reported is bound by Highway 401/Exeter Road (north) and Glanworth Drive (south), and between Wonderland Road (west) and Highbury Avenue (east), and includes the communities of Brockley and Shaver.
Within this area are 12 facilities that have been identified as potentially causing odour issues. These do not include agricultural operations. The area and 12 facilities are shown on this map (PDF).
Four facilities have been identified as primary potential sources of odour issues. These are:
- Ingredion Canada Corporation – London operations (manufacturing process for industrial corn starches)
- Orgaworld Canada Ltd. (composting facilities)
- StormFisher Environmental Ltd. (anaerobic digester – biogas facility)
- City of London W12A Landfill Site (waste disposal site for solid, non-hazardous wastes)
Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) Abatement and Enforcement Tools
The Environmental Protection Act (EPA) gives the MOECC the authority to respond to odour concerns. Details on the MOECC Compliance Policy Applying Abatement and Enforcement Tools can be found on their website.
As it becomes available, public information and statistics from the MOECC will be posted on this page.
Currently available information covers the period of January 1, 2007 until July 31, 2017 for 3 facilities, and January 1, 2014 until July 31, 2017 for one facility. Click links below for individual (PDF) summaries of odour complaints for each facility, as tracked by the MOECC.
- Ingredion Canada Odour Complaint Summary
- Orgaworld Canada Odour Complaint Summary
- StormFisher Environmental Odour Complaint Summary
- City of London W12A Landfill Site Odour Complaint Summary
City of London Report to Planning and Environment Committee
City of London staff presented a report to the August 28, 2017 meeting of the Planning and Environment Committee. The purpose of the report was to provide an update on actions to date and potential future actions and staff recommendations.