The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)
link to trees on my property information

My Trees on My Property

A private tree is a tree within the City of London on lands that are owned by individual property owners.

Tree Protection By-law





Tree Protection By-law

In 2012, the City of London consulted with residents to develop the Urban Forest Strategy.  As part of the consultation, 86 percent of the people we heard from supported a tree protection by-law for trees on private property.

Return to Trees and Forests Home Page

Privately Owned Trees - Frequently Asked Questions

Expand All
Collapse All
  • Can I Chop down or Remove a Tree from my Property?

    Your tree may be protected by the City of London Tree Protection By-law if your tree is a Distinctive Tree or if it falls within the Tree Protection Area.  You may need to apply for a permit if destroying or injuring a tree. 

    All Trees in a Tree Protection Area are protected, regardless of size. To find out if your tree is within a Tree Protection Area, consult CityMap.  We have created some instructions for how to use CityMap in the link below.

    Your tree is a Protected Distinctive Tree if the following statements are true:

    1. My tree is greater than or equal to 50 cm in diameter, measured 1.4 metres above ground level; AND,
    2. My tree is also located within the Urban Growth Boundary of the City. 
  • Do I need a permit to prune my tree?

    You do not require a permit to prune a tree so long as this is done in accordance with Good Arboricultural Practices. 

  • How do I measure my tree to find out if it is a Distinctive Tree?

    A special diameter tape or tree calipers can be used to measure the diameter of a tree.  If neither is available, the diameter can be calculated by measuring the circumference around the tree, 1.4 metres above Natural Ground Level, using a regular tape measure and dividing by 3.1415 (Pi).  For example, a tree with a circumference of 157cm will have a diameter of about 50cm (157/3.1415 = 49.98)

  • Do I need a permit to remove a dead or hazardous tree from my property?

    If the tree is a Distinctive Tree or is located within a Tree Protection Area, a permit is required, however, there would be no fee for any trees the City Planner accepts as dead or hazardous.

  • How do I apply for a Tree Permit?

    Application forms are linked below, or you can pick one up at the Urban Forestry office located at the A.J. Tyler Operations Centre, 663 Bathurst Street.  If you wish one mailed to you, please contact a Customer Service Representative at 519-661-5783 Option 2.

  • Can I prune my neighbours tree that overhangs my property?

    Trimming a neighbour's overhanging branches, the City recommends that you discuss this matter with your neighbour.

    For more information, please follow the link provided below:

  • Can I prune a City tree overhanging my property?

    No, do not prune a City Tree. 

    Due to concerns in respect to liability and safety property owners are requested not to prune any City tree.  Please contact our Forestry Operations to discuss your concerns and arrange any necessary work by calling 519-661-5783 Option 1.

  • Why do we need a private tree protection by-law?

    Through extensive public consultation in 2012, 86% of respondents told us they support a tree protection by-law for trees on private property.  Council is aiming to achieve 34% canopy cover by 2065, which we can only do if we protect the trees we have, in addition to planting many more.

  • How do I find a competent arborist?

    The City of London does not endorse independent contractors.  Other organizations have their own levels of certification.  Please contact one of the following:

  • Could a permit be refused?

    Yes, the City Planner may refuse to issue a permit.

  • Who do I contact for more information?

    For more information please call 519-661-5783 Option 2.  You can also send an email to

  • Can I take wood up to my cottage, or somewhere else, to burn as firewood?

    Moving firewood is one of the main ways forest pest and diseases move from one location to another. While some areas are regulated and moving wood out of these areas is illegal, even outside of regulated areas it is much better to get your firewood locally to where you are going to burn it.  For more information, including regulated areas, please see the Government of Canada’s page “Don’t Move Firewood

Last modified: