The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Provincial Offences

Provincial Offences 

Ontario Court of Justice
824 Dundas Street
London, ON N5W 5R1

Please note: The Provincial Offences Office will close at noon on December 24th through January 1st, reopening on Monday, January 2nd.

Courts Administration Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Closed weekends and holidays)

Prosecution Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (Closed weekends and holidays)

Parking Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Paid parking available on the East side of the building.

Wheelchair accessible from the front entrance. Additional accessibility information available at Accessibility London.

Courts Administration General Inquiries: (519) 661-1882
Courts Administration Fax: (519) 661-1944

Prosecution Office General Inquiries: (519) 661-1911
Prosecution Office Fax: (519) 661-4503

For Further Assistance See:
pdf_mini Guide for Defendants in Provincial Offences Cases 
Pdf Icon Guide for Appeals in Provincial Offences Cases 


City of London Provincial Offences Court Office

On March 18, 2001, the City of London assumed all responsibilities associated with the operation and management of the Provincial Offences Court and related administration for the Ontario Court of Justice, London Court Service Area.

The assumption of services was a result of the Streamlining of Administration of the Provincial Offences Act, 1997, which provided the framework for the transfer of partial responsibility for and administration of the Provincial Offences Act (POA) to Ontario municipalities.  The POA is a statute which provides for a procedure for the prosecution of provincial offences including those under the Highway Traffic Act, the Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act, theTrespass to Property Act, the Liquor Licence Act and other provincial legislation and municipal by-laws.

Examples of provincial offences include but are not limited to:

  • Speeding, careless driving, or not wearing a seat belt (Highway Traffic Act)
  • Entering premises  or engaging in activity on premises when entry or the activity is prohibited (Trespass to Property Act)
  • Driving without insurance or failing to surrender your insurance card for inspection (Compulsory Automobile Insurance Act)
  • Municipal by-law offences (noise, zoning, parking)
  • Having open liquor in a vehicle or being in an intoxicated condition in a public place (Liquor Licence Act)
  • Occupational health and safety offences (Occupational Health and Safety Act)
  • Ministry of Environment, Transportation, Natural Resources, Labour, or Finance offences
  • Smoking where prohibited or selling or selling tobacco to a person under 19 (Smoke Free Ontario Act)

Link to POA on e-laws: 

Services provided by the Provincial Offences Court Office include:

  • Processing / accepting payment of Provincial Offences fines
  • Accept filing of Provincial Offences Act matters including re-openings, motions and extensions of time to pay fines
  • Handling general inquires about Provincial Offences matters
  • Providing Court Clerk / Reporter staff for Provincial Offences court proceedings

Please note: Court staff cannot provide legal advice.


Options available if you have received a Provincial Offences Notice / ticket

If you receive an Offence Notice which contains an Early Resolution Option, you have three options available to you.  You have 15 days from the receipt of a Provincial Offence Notice to exercise one of the options below, failing which you are deemed not to dispute the charge and a guilty plea may be entered in your absence.

Option #1 - Plea of Guilty – Voluntary Payment of Total Payable Fine

Fill in the required information on the Payment Notice and return it to the Provincial Offences Administration Office. Remember to include the Offence Notice and your payment. If mailing in your payment, please do not send cash or post-dated cheques.

  • Cheques or money orders should be made payable to “City of London”. The Offence Notice number must be written on the front of your cheque or money order.
  • VISA or MasterCard payment may also be made by calling (519) 661-1882. (Please note that VISA Debit cards cannot be processed over the phone.)
  • An internet payment option is available by clicking on the link to and by following the on screen instructions. (City of London parking tickets cannot be paid via PayTickets).

Please Note: City of London PARKING tickets must be paid via the parking division.

Option #2 – Early Resolution – Meet with Prosecution

For most offence notices issued on or after April 11, 2016 the previous Option 2 to Plead Guilty with an Explanation has been replaced with Early Resolution, whereby you now have the option to schedule a meeting with the municipal prosecutor to discuss your charge(s). By selecting this option you do not forego the right to a trial. The meetings can be used to find out the position of the prosecutor, to discuss the time to pay a fine, to obtain disclosure for the charge(s) or to discuss the possibility of pleading to a lesser offence supported by the facts. 

An Early Resolution meeting can be requested by mailing your Provincial Offence Notice to the court office in the self-addressed envelope or by bringing it in to the office in person. If selecting either method, remember to check off the box to request an Early Resolution meeting. Early Resolution meetings will take place in person; however, a telephone meeting option will be available for those who live more than 75 km from the London Provincial Offences court.

Upon receipt of your request for an Early Resolution meeting, court staff will send you a meeting notice to the address on the certificate of offence or as indicated in the request. The notice will indicate the time, date and location of your meeting with the prosecutor.  Please notify court staff if your address has changed to ensure you receive your Notice of Early Resolution.  The Early Resolution process may lead to one of the following outcomes:

Failure to Attend an Early Resolution Meeting

If you request an Early Resolution meeting with the prosecutor but do not attend for the scheduled meeting, you will be deemed not to dispute the charge and convicted of the offence in your absence.

Resolution Reached with Prosecutor

If, after meeting with the prosecutor, a resolution to the charge is reached you will be required to attend before a justice of the peace so that the resolution reached can be endorsed.

No Resolution Reached with Prosecutor

If a resolution to the charge cannot be reached through a meeting with the prosecutor, you will be provided with a Notice of Trial and the matter will be set for a future court date.

Option #3 – Trial Option

You or your representative must attend in person at the court office to file a Notice of Intention to Appear in court between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, excluding holidays. A trial will be scheduled for the first available court date and Notice of Trial will be mailed to you, usually within four to six weeks of receipt of your Notice of Intention to Appear.  If you do not appear for the resulting trial, you may be convicted in your absence, and costs, in addition to any penalty, may be assessed by the court.


Options available if you have received a Summons

If you have received a Summons the procedures noted above for Provincial Offences Offence Notices do not apply.

A Summons will indicate a court date instead of a fine. You or your agent will be required to attend court on the date indicated on the Summons to deal with the matter in Provincial Offences Court. Should you fail to appear in court, a warrant may be issued for your arrest, or the court may proceed to trial in your absence. If you have received a Summons and require additional information, please contact POA Court Office staff.


Convictions and payments of fines

If you are convicted of an offence, a Notice of Fine and Due Date will be mailed to you informing you of your conviction and your payment due date. It is your responsibility to pay the fine(s) by the due date provided.  If you do not receive your notice, you are still responsible to the pay the fine(s). If you fail to pay your fine(s), actions such as licence suspension, plate denial, civil action (small claims court) or reporting the outstanding debt to a collection agency can be taken against you. Please ensure that your address is current by notifying the court of any changes (note that changing your address with MTO/Service Ontario does not update your address with the court office.)

If you cannot pay your outstanding fine in full, you may attend the court office to apply for an Extension of Time to Pay.  Your application will be submitted to a justice of the peace who will decide if the extension is allowed. It is your responsibility to follow up with the court staff on whether your extension was granted.

Online Forms

To assist in the administrative process, some forms have been made available on our website. Forms not listed here must be picked up in person from the POA Office. 





You may request a copy of the documents in the prosecution file (Disclosure) by completing the Request for Disclosure Form (Demande de Divulgation) and delivering the completed and signed form by email, in person, by mail, or by fax to:


In Person / Mail:        

Municipal Prosecution Office
Ontario Court of Justice
824 Dundas Street
London, ON N5W 5R1
N5W 5R1

Fax: (519) 661- 4503


Disclosure is available for pick-up at the Municipal Prosecution Office. Please call (519) 661-1911 first to ensure disclosure is ready for pick-up.  Disclosure will not be mailed to you.


If you have been charged with an offence under the POA for which there is no early resolution option on the offence notice, you may discuss a resolution of your matter prior to your court date by contacting the prosecution office during regular office hours (8:30am to 4:30pm, Mon. to Fri.):

  • Call (519) 661-1911; or
  • Attend in person at the Municipal Prosecution Office, 824 Dundas Street.

You will need to provide the Municipal Prosecutor with your file number and court date so please have that information available when you call or when you attend in person.   Please note that some offences are prosecuted by provincial prosecutors and the municipal prosecutor will advise you if this is the case. If you have just received your Notice of Trial and your trial is more than three months away, please wait at least a month prior to your trial date to contact our office for a resolution. 

Note: If a resolution is reached you must still attend court on your scheduled trial date to enter the resolution on the record.  You also have the option to pay your ticket out of court any time prior to your trial.

For Roadside Reductions in relation to speeding offences, please note that where the rate of speed was reduced at the roadside, if the matter proceeds to trial, the prosecution may seek to amend the ticket to the higher rate of speed if there is evidence of the higher rate of speed (York  (Regional Municipality) v Winlow).


Last modified: