Mayor Ed Holder is pleased to announce the annual Mayor’s New Year’s Honour List, celebrating members of the London community in 8 out of 11 categories of achievement to recognize the diversity of philanthropic work taking place in our city.
The 2020 honourees are:
- Gary Doerr – Accessibility
- Patrick Fleming - Age Friendly
- Renée Silberman – Arts
- Leroy Hibbert – Distinguished Londoner
- Don Campbell – Distinguished Londoner
- Brian Hill – Distinguished Londoner
- Hayden Foulon (posthumously) – Distinguished Londoner
- Rob McQueen – Environment
- Arthur McClelland – Heritage
- Carla Garagozzo – Housing
- Alexander Kopacz – Sports
“It is truly an honour to publicly recognize and celebrate these outstanding Londoners,” said Mayor Ed Holder. “Their work, their commitment to community-building, and their kindness inspire all of us. London is a more dynamic, and a more caring city as a result of their efforts.”
The Mayor of London’s annual Honour List began in 1976 with recognition of contributions to the Arts. Since 1989, the additional categories of Diversity & Race Relations; The Environment; Heritage; Housing; Humanitarianism; Persons with Disabilities; Safety & Crime Prevention; Accessibility; Age Friendly and Sports have been added. Recipients are named by City Council, on the recommendation of Advisory Committees or community organizations, through the City’s Standing Committees.
Earlier this year, City Council added a ‘Distinguished Londoner’ category, meant to recognize no more than four individuals who have made an “outstanding contribution to community collaboration, or acts of good will by giving back to our City.”