The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Getting Married

Marriage Licences

The City of London issues marriage licences while you wait, in the lobby of City Hall or at the City Clerk's Office on the 3rd floor of City Hall.


Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

Tuesday 8:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m.

Licence Fee 

The licence fee $135.00 (HST does not apply) Cash, Debit, Visa, MasterCard and American Express. 

What You Need to Know About Marriage Licences

A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario (or the publication of banns from a church)

No appointment is required when applying for a marriage licence

If you have the required identification and applicable documents it will take approximately 20-30 minutes to process your application and issue the licence

Once issued a marriage licence is valid for 90 days

The licence is valid for use in Ontario only

Who Can Get Married?

Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available in our office. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.

Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

Marriage Licence Application

The form will only be accepted by completing and signing the application and taking it in person to one of our service counters in City Hall.  The Marriage Licence Application is available here.

Both Signatures Required

The Marriage Licence Application form must be completed and signed by both parties to the marriage (the applicant and the joint applicant).

Can I Apply In Person Without My Partner Present?

Yes, you can apply without your partner, if:

  • both of you have signed and dated the completed application
  • you bring the required identification for each person on the application
  • you bring original divorce documentation, if applicable.

What is Acceptable Identification?

Each person applying for the marriage licence must bring 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below.

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies or scanned images/documents)
  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth
  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID
  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued

Acceptable Identification

  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s Licence
  • Ontario Photo Card (Purple photo ID card)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (Canadian Citizenship Card)
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Conditional Release Identification Card
  • United States Green Card
  • Native Status Card
  • Record of Immigration Landing
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residency
  • Permanent Residency Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Identity Card
  • Nexus Card
  • Firearms Acquisition Certificate (FAC)
  • Possession & Acquisition Licence (PAL)

Divorced Applicants

Within Canada: Applicants divorced within Canada must produce the original or court certified copy of a:

  • Certificate of Divorce
  • Final Decree

A certified copy of either of the above divorce documents may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement is not acceptable. All documents will be returned.

If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact the Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings or 1-613-957-4519.

Outside Canada (Foreign Divorce): If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The Office of the Registrar General for the Province of Ontario needs to validate these documents and provide authorization in order for you to get a marriage licence.

For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 519 661-4530 or visit Service Ontario. Foreign divorce packages can also be picked up at City Hall.


If you cannot read or understand English, you must bring your own interpreter.  The interpreter must present their own identification.

On-Line Applications for Marriage Certificates (Proof of Marriage)

Once you are married, you should request a Marriage Certificate.  The on-line application is accessible through both the ServiceOntario website at


Last modified:
Forms are best viewed using Internet Explorer as your web browser. Alternatively, right click, and save the form to your computer before opening.​​