The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Step 2: Marriage Ceremony

Marriage Ceremonies

There are two types of marriage ceremonies performed in Ontario:

Religious Ceremonies

A religious marriage is performed by a religious official of a recognized religious body who has received authorization from the Office of the Registrar General to perform marriages in Ontario.

Check the online list of authorized religious marriage officiants to ensure that your religious officiant is authorized to perform marriages in Ontario.

Civil Ceremonies

A civil marriage may be performed by an Ontario judge, justice of the peace or a municipal clerk or designate under the authority of a marriage licence. The City of London offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies at City Hall.

Civil Marriage Ceremonies at City Hall

You can exchange your wedding vows at City Hall Monday through Friday (except statutory holidays) between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.  The simple, dignified and non-denominational marriage conducted by the City Clerk - or designate - lasts approximately 15 minutes.  Due to the civil nature of the service, there cannot be any religious connotation to the ceremony.

Councillors Lounge south wall Councillors Lounge north window










To have a civil ceremony completed at City Hall you must provide:

  • Valid Province of Ontario marriage licence: Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence. Marriage licences are available from most local municipalities in Ontario.
  • Two (2) witnesses: Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act. The City of London can provide witnesses upon request for a fee of $25.00 per witness.
  • Photo ID: Couples must arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled ceremony with one piece of valid photo ID for each partner.
  • Language interpreter: Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if needed, for languages other than English.  Couples who require a sign-language interpreter for the wedding consultation and/or for the wedding ceremony may make their own arrangements or may ask the Clerk’s Office to make the necessary arrangements.  The cost for a sign-language interpreter will be borne by the City as required by the City of London’s Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.

Marriage Ineligibility

City Clerk staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows - or has reasonable grounds to believe - lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances which make a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:

  • One or both parties are under physical or mental duress.
  • One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents).
  • The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.
  • One of both parties are currently married.
  • One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.


  • Marriage licence: $140.00, taxes included (cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or AMEX)
  • Civil marriage ceremony: $275.00 plus HST
  • Witness fee: $25.00 per witness should staff be required to act as witness.

Note: a $113.00 ($100 + $13 HST) administration fee shall be retained by the City should the scheduled ceremony be cancelled after the booking. No refund shall be issued if you do not show up on the date of your scheduled ceremony.

Expand All
Collapse All
  • What Do I Need to Get Married?

    To get married in Ontario you will need a marriage licence, an authorized marriage officiant and two witnesses.

    • You can obtain a marriage licence by completing an application online here or in person at the City Clerk’s Office, Third Floor, or Lobby of City Hall, 300 Dufferin Avenue.
    • Valid Province of Ontario marriage licence: Couples must obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage Licence in order to get married in Ontario.
    • Two (2) witnesses: Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act.
    • Your marriage must be preformed by an officiant who is authorized by the province of Ontario to properly and legally perform marriages. For a list of authorized officiants please visit Service Ontario. Opens in new window

     The person marrying you is responsible for:

    • performing the ceremony
    • completing the marriage licence
    • providing you with the Record of Solemnization, and
    • sending the completed marriage licence to the Province of Ontario to be registered.
  • Where Can I Get Married?

    Once you have your marriage licence you can get married anywhere in Ontario. You can have a marriage ceremony at home, a restaurant, a banquet hall, a place of worship, a park or a number of City of London facilities.

  • Getting Married Outside of Ontario or Canada

    If you get married outside of Ontario, your marriage will not be registered in the Province. You will not be able to request a marriage certificate from the Province of Ontario.

    Getting married in another province:

    • Check with the Vital Statistics office in the province or territory in Canada where you want to get married.
    • Inquire with the municipality, city or town in which you are getting married for specific information on applying for a marriage licence as policies and procedures may differ.

    Getting married outside of Canada:

    • Eligibility and marriage requirements differ from country to country. Check with the Canadian Representative in the country in which you are getting married for more information.
    • Some countries require proof that you are not currently married, often called a Letter of Non-Impediment.