The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Boulevard Cafe Permit

Owners of food establishments with a valid business licence can apply to the City of London for a Boulevard Cafe Permit.   Typically, applications are received from restaurants that desire an outdoor cafe, but don't have sufficient room on their own property.

Applications are reviewed to ensure they are compatible with City requirements - such as not interfering with the public use of the road allowance, or not interfering with City operations.

Before submitting an application, please contact Realty Services Division first to ensure an application can be considered for the proposed location - it being noted that the application fee is non-refundable.

Permits are issued with various conditions, including the payment of an annual  fee and a requirement to maintain adequate insurance.

What Things Should I Be Aware Of?

  • In the case of downtown sidewalk cafes, the cafe must be designed such that there is an unobstructed 1.2 metre (5 foot) wide passageway for pedestrian traffic.   The unobstructed passageway must not include tree grates.   In the case of curb parking, bus stops, or mail boxes, additional room will be required.
  • No cafe can be situated on top of, or within 1 metre (3 feet) of an underground hydro vault.
  • Cafes are typically fenced with removable fencing.  Fencing is required if the establishment has a liquor licence.
  • No electrical installations (lighting, for example) are permitted on the boulevard.
  • Most Boulevard Cafe Permits are seasonal, where all restaurant paraphernalia must be removed during the winter months to enable snow removal.

How Do I Make An Application?

clipartPrint out and complete the Boulevard Cafe Permit Application and submit it together with the following:


  • A non-refundable administrative fee of $200.00 (Cheque payable to "Treasurer - City of London").
  • A sketch and photograph clearly showing the cafe area.   The sketch should show all relevant dimensions, the location of the building, sidewalk, curb, side property lines, utility poles, fire hydrants, signs, trees, parking meters, etc., surface materials and the proposed fence location.    (Additional drawings may be required if the cafe involves significant landscaping.)
  • Copy of the City of London business licence.
  • Third Party liability insurance policy in this form.
  • Proof of ownership of property, or if you are a tenant, written permission from the owner of the property.


If you have any questions or require additional information, please contact Realty Services at 519 661-5442.




Last modified: