Inspections are conducted for small residential buildings under renovation with a permit issued for alterations.
If you have requested an inspection under a building permit for ALTERATION work and have not provided us with a site contact phone number, please reply to building@London.ca and provide it so your inspection date is not compromised. This allows the inspector to be able to call on the date of the inspection.
Please note that:
- it is your responsibility to ensure the inspector is able to successfully connect with the person assigned this number in order that the inspection be carried out.
- If the inspector calls, and there is no answer, he/she will attempt to knock on the front door. If no one answers, the inspector will leave and record the inspection(s) as ‘“Inspection Cancelled by City”. You will then be required to rebook the inspection(s).
- As a result of the above, when the inspector attends for the second time, he/she will attempt contact by phone only.
- If upon inspection, the inspector finds that the work is not ready or previously identified deficiencies have not been rectified, the inspection will be deemed as “Not Ready” and you will need to remit the associated fee. Currently, that amount is $178.68 and indexed annually March 1st.
The following site restrictions MUST be adhered to:
- At all times during the on-site physical inspection, and after the inspector has confirmed arrival, ALL other tradespersons are to vacate the area under renovation. Only upon confirmation of this, will the inspector enter.
- Anyone wishing to speak to the inspector must do so at a minimum distance of 2.0m.
- The area under renovation must be separated from the remaining dwelling by use of a full-height temporary partition or a curtain consisting of fabric or vapour barrier material.
- When the inspector arrives, he/she will call the number given previously and confirm that, if for any reason, occupants (not tradespersons) MUST remain in the dwelling, the permit holder/homeowner shall provide confirmation via text message to the inspector, prior to the inspection, that all occupants have answered ‘No’ to ALL of the following questions:
- Do you have a fever and/or new onset cough or difficulty breathing?
- Have you been in close contact (within 6 feet) with a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19?
- Have you travelled outside Canada in the last 14 days?
- Have you been in close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to a Covid-19 impacted area?
The text message must include the address.
5. Platforms such as FaceTime or WhatsApp may be used at the discretion of the inspector. Arrangements for this, need to be made with the inspector prior to the inspection.
6. The inspector may not commence or terminate the inspection at any time, if the above restrictions have not been complied with. The permit holder will receive a “Inspection Cancelled by City” notice via email and will need to re-book the inspection.