St. George-Grosvenor Heritage Conservation District Study
“London North’s character as a desirable place of residence was established in the 1840s and 1850s when four prominent Londoners built their mansions on the sparsely settled lands north of Oxford Street. When the London Street Railway extended its run along Richmond Street as far north as St. James Street in 1875, London North became a popular area in which to settle. Within five years, a prosperous middle class of merchants, government employees, and businessmen were building residences west of Wellington and south of Grosvenor Streets. The intersecting mix of large town houses, small brick cottages and grand mansions which marked this part of London in the late nineteenth century still survives today. The area has retained its diverse residential character over the past century, with only a few education and medical institutions growing up discretely in its midst. The intermix of socio-economic levels and housing types was a result of the area’s spotty pattern of development ever since it became part of London in 1840” (Heritage Places 1994, 31).
The St. George-Grosvenor Heritage Conservation District Study Area is bound by Oxford Street East to the south, Richmond Street to the east, the Thames River to the west, and includes properties along Victoria Street between Richmond Street and St. George Street. As part of the St. George-Grosvenor Heritage Conservation District Study process, the boundary of the study area will be evaluated.
- Study Area Map
- Community Information Meeting Notice - May 20, 2015
- Community Information Meeting Notice - November 4, 2015
- Community Information Meeting Notice – June 28, 2016
- Revised St. George-Grosvenor Heritage Conservation District Study - November 24, 2016
- Public Participation Meeting Notice - January 9, 2017
Accessibility – Alternative accessible formats or communication supports are available upon request. Please contact email@example.com or 519-661-4980 for more information.