Canada 150 London Events and Activities
Celebrate the sesquicentennial in London! See the full list of events, activities and commemorations taking place in London over 2017 and plan to participate and explore.
June 29 - July 3
SESQUIFEST, a Canada 150 London Signature Event, featured five full days of animations, programming, and entertainment (completely FREE for all)!
The SESQUI Inc. 360-degree film Horizon, multiple live music stages, ethnocultural programming, and London and Ontario-proud exhibitions and attractions were just some of the incredible offerings of this one-time event.
They were five days to remember for the next 50 years!
In honour of Canada 150, London Canada Day events and organizers joined together to present a city-wide crawl for the big Canada Day weekend. Historically, over 100,000 people enjoy FREE and family-friendly festivities at one of London's many Canada Day sites. This year, 10 programs/events were presented in the form of a Passport, encouraging Londoner's to experience curated programming across London, and have a blast right until the fireworks.
1. Restoration of the Victoria Park Cenotaph
The City of London, with consultation of local veterans, renovated the Cenotaph.
The condition of the Cenotaph was professionally assessed, and determined to be in a continuing state of deterioration from the elements.
The restoration project consisted of:
- Restoration of the original limestone veneer
- Repair and waterproofing of the inner concrete core
- Enscription of both the Afghanistan & Korea War.
2. Improvement of Main Trail at Westminster Ponds
The City of London is undertaking a project to protect and enhance the Westminster Ponds/Pond Mills Environmentally Significant Area (ESA) consistent with the Conservation Master Plan (CMP), including:
- Installation of an accessible trail,
- Accessible boardwalk, and
- An extensive, ecological restoration project.
3. Renovation of Harris Park Pavilion
The City of London built a new Harris Park Pavilion. The design of the new pavilion reflects the spirit of the Canada 150 celebration and provides a space for Londoners to celebrate Canada in 2017. The renovation of the pavilion includes:
- Addition of 2,000 square feet to the existing bandshell structure
- Barrier free design, new landscaping and upgraded paths
- Flexible and adaptable space for multiple types of functions
4. Enhancements to Queens Park
The City of London is undertaking a project to rejuvenate the park and will add a spray pad.
5. Enhancements to Coronation Park
The City of London undertook a project to rejuvenate the park and add a spray pad.
6. New ice making equipment for the outdoor rink at the market
The City of London is undertaking a project to install new ice making equipment for the outdoor skating rink at Covent Garden Market.
Canada 150 Funding
These projects have received financial support through the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program/Avec l’appui du Programme d’infrastructure communautaire de Canada 150.
Sesquifest also received Ontario 150 funding from the Government of Ontario