Canada 150 Funding
The Government of Canada has generously assisted with funding for three signature projects in London to celebrate Canada's 150th anniversary:
1. Restoration of the Victoria Park Cenotaph
The City of London, with consultation of local veterans, is renovating the Cenotaph this spring.
The condition of the Cenotaph was professionally assessed, and determined to be in a continuing state of deterioration from the elements.
The restoration project is scheduled to be complete by early July, and consists of:
- Restoration of the original limestone veneer
- Repair and waterproofing of the inner concrete core
- Enscription of both the Afghanistan & Korea War.
2. Improvement of Main Trail at Westminster Ponds
The City of London is undertaking a project to protect and enhance the Westminster Ponds/Pond Mills Environmentally Significant Area (ESA) consistent with the Conservation Master Plan (CMP), including:
- Installation of an accessible trail,
- Accessible boardwalk, and
- An extensive, ecological restoration project.
3. Renovation of Harris Park Pavilion
The City of London is undertaking a project to renovate and expand the Harris Park Pavilion. The design of the new pavilion will reflect the spirit of the Canada 150 celebration and provide a space for Londoners to celebrate Canada in 2017. The renovation of the pavilion will include:
- Addition of 2,000 square feet to the existing bandshell structure
- Barrier free design, new landscaping and upgraded paths
- Flexible and adaptable space for multiple types of functions
Canada 150 London Events and Activities
Celebrate the sesquicentennial in London! See the full list of events, activities and commerorations taking place in London over 2017 and plan to participate and explore.
June 29 - July 3
SESQUIFEST, a Canada 150 London Signature Event, will feature five full days of animations, programming, and entertainment (completely FREE for all)!
The SESQUI Inc. 360-degree film Horizon, multiple live music stages, ethnocultural programming, and London and Ontario-proud exhibitions and attractions are just some of the incredible offerings of this one-time event.
Five days to remember for the next 50 years!
In honour of Canada 150, London Canada Day events and organizers have joined together to present a city-wide crawl for the big Canada Day weekend. Historically, over 100,000 people enjoy FREE and family-friendly festivities at one of London's many Canada Day sites. This year, 10 programs/events will be presented in the form of a Passport, encouraging Londoner's to experience curated programming across London, and have a blast right until the fireworks.