Mission: Making it easier for children, youth and families to connect to services in their neighbourhood.
London has a great range of services for families that are located throughout the community. Our goal is to develop a more family-centred service system that makes the full range of services more accessible to families. In order to do this, we are creating a network of Family Centres that bring services together, offering a single door approach to each neighbourhood.
Currently in the initial phase of the roll-out, our community is engaging residents and partners to create our first 4 Family Centres in Argyle, Carling, Westmount and White Oaks neighbourhoods. In each Family Centre, families will be able to access a core group of services and, when necessary, get connected to more specialized services.
Family Centres have already been established in the Westmount and Carling-Thames neighbourhoods. A Family Centre in White Oaks is in the construction planning stage and will open in late 2013. A fourth Family Centre for the Argyle neighbourhood is in the final planning stages.
Types of services include:
- Parenting and Early Learning Programs (i.e. Parenting Attachment Programs, Play Groups or Language Development Programs)
- Education, Early Childhood Education and Child Care (i.e. Centre-based Licensed Child Care, Licensed Non-traditional Hours Care, etc.)
- Public Health and Wellness (i.e. Pre-natal Support, Post-natal or Early Screening & Assessment)
- Recreation, Sports and Leisure (i.e. Physical Activity Programming, Arts/Culture Programming, etc.)
- Referral, Resources, Information and Awareness (i.e. Child Care Fee Subsidy Access, Family Literacy, Basic Needs Supports, Children’s Mental Health Service Referral, etc
The Family Centre strategy is fundamentally about strengthening families – about helping them access the supports they need to be successful in all aspects of their lives. In planning these centres, service delivery organizations collaborate closely with local residents in each neighbourhood to provide a mix of programs and services that will best meet their needs.
Find out more about London's Family Centres at www.familyinfo.ca/FamilyCentres.asp
To find out more about London's Child and Youth Network, please visit our website at www.londoncyn.ca.