The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)

How Do I Fix Yard Flooding?

Yard flooding affects residents in many municipalities, including the City of London.  Yard flooding generally occurs during snow melts and/or heavy rainfalls.  It is important to direct the water away from your home but not cause problems for your neighbours.

How Can I Reduce Yard Flooding on my Property?

Yard flooding on your own (private) property can occur for a number of different reasons.  Poor lot grading, downspouts discharging improperly, sump pumps discharging incorrectly, and fences/pools/sheds/gardens interrupting drainage patterns are a few reasons why your yard may have flooded.  Regardless of the cause, the end result is to direct the water away from your home but not cause problems for your neighbours or City property.  Call in a professtional and they will be able to give expert advise on how to reduce yard flooding. Fixes that maybe suggested could include but not limited too, improving lot grading, changing the direction of downspouts, intalling weeping tiles, installing a rain garden, and admending the soil for better drainage.

My Neighbour has Caused Flooding on my Property.  What Can I Do?

A flooding concern between two or more property owners is referred to as a “neighbour to neighbour issue” and it is up to the property owners involved to resolve the issue.  The City of London is not responsible for flooding concerns between property owners.  If you feel your neighbour(s) has caused flooding on your property, it is suggested that you politely discuss the concern with your neighbour to come up with a solution that benefits all property owners involved.  If available, a lot grading plan of your area may be obtained from the City to find out how the properties in your area are to drain.  If an amicable resolution cannot be found, it may be possible to make changes on your own property to improve the situation.  As a last resort, legal action could be taken between the neighbours involved.

How Much Will it Cost to Fix?

The cost of implementing yard flooding mitigation measures will depend on the amount of work undertaken.  It is always a good idea to get several estimates to select the best solution (and the best value) for your home.  The City of London does not pay for damages caused by yard flooding. 

How Can I Help Reduce Road and Sidewalk Flooding?

On City property, the rain water and/or snow melt runs along the curb and into catch basins.  The catch basins are connected to the storm sewers that eventually take the water to the river.  Sometimes these catch basins become covered with leaves, debris or snow.  Although the City is responsible for maintaining almost 29,000 catch basins, the City can not possibly clear off every catch basin in the city prior to or during a rain event.  It may be a good idea to make sure the catch basins in your area have not been blocked with leaves or other debris, if you can do so safely.  When leaves and debris cover the catch basin the water on the road has no where to escape and can cause increased ponding on the streets or make its way onto private property such as the front lawn.

Can My Sump Pump and/or Downspouts Discharge to the Road or Sidewalk?

Your sump pump discharge pipe and downspouts should outlet to your own property, preferably the lawn.  It should not outlet to your neighbours' property or City property, which includes the sidewalk and road.  Damage to the sidewalk or road can occur when water is directed towards them.   Also, depending on the time of year, the water on the sidewalk and road can freeze creating a hazard for pedestrians and vehicles.


Last modified: