Construction on Western / Wharncliffe Road
Much of the area surrounding the Western University Campus is under construction for the 2018 Western / Wharncliffe Road widening project. This work spans from Platt’s Lane to Wharncliffe Road North and is expected to be completed by fall/winter 2018.
The infrastructure renewal work underway will provide the following benefits:
- Improved accessibility to meet AODA standards
- Additional crosswalks and sidewalks to improve pedestrian movement
- Widening of the road to increase traffic capacity and improve LTC service
- Additional bus bays to increase rider safety
- Modernized and reliable infrastructure to enable the area for growth
Status of Construction:
Wharncliffe Road North, from Saunby Street to Platt’s Lane, is now open to all four lanes of traffic after undergoing an 8-month road widening, watermain replacement and sewer separation.
In addition to underground work, this project included significant surface improvements:
- Widening of four lanes of traffic
- Pedestrian crossover at Hollywood Crescent
- New sidewalks on the west side of Western Road
In spring 2019, crews will return to complete finishing touches. The City of London thanks the public for their continued patience during the construction of this important infrastructure project.