About the Dundas Cycle Track
This project will connect Downtown with Old East Village by creating a permanent, separated east-west cycling route on Dundas Street between Wellington Street and Adelaide Street North. The west end of the project will connect into Dundas Place and the east end of the project will connect into new cycling facilities being built along Dundas between Adelaide and Ontario Streets as part of upcoming infrastructure renewal work in the Old East Village.
Where opportunities exist, urban design elements of this project will be guided by the City’s Complete Streets Design Manual, which outlines an approach to street design that considers the needs of all road users.
This project is one portion of the recommended route that emerged from the Downtown OEV East-West Bikeway Corridor Evaluation, which examined options for east-west cycling connectivity.
Map of Dundas Cycle Track
Scope of work:
- Constructing a new separated bike lane on the north side of Dundas Street, between Wellington Street and William Street, for westbound cyclists.
- Constructing a new separated bike lane on the south side of Dundas Street, between Wellington Street and Adelaide Street, for eastbound cyclists (the eastbound bike lane on Dundas Street is designed to continue beyond Adelaide to Ontario Street. The portion east of Adelaide will be constructed in 2021 through Phase 2 of the Dundas Street Reconstruction project in Old East Village).
- Constructing new separated bike lanes on the east and west sides of William Street between Queens Avenue and Dundas Street.
- Modifying traffic signals and street lights at all intersections on Dundas within the project limits.
- Implementing a protected intersection for cyclists at Dundas Street and Colborne Street.
- Constructing enhanced streetscape features along Dundas Street, including unique pavers, new waste/recycling receptacles, bike racks, benches planters and trees.