London’s construction season will soon begin, with a number of large projects scheduled for implementation in 2016.
Due to a favorable winter, the season started earlier than anticipated with the second phase of Commissioners Road Widening from Andover Drive to Wonderland Road, which began mid- March.
Key infrastructure investments include:
- road widening on Sarnia Road between Wonderland and Sleightholme
- road widening on Fanshawe Road between Adelaide and McLean
- water, sewer, and road works
- bridge rehabilitation on Windermere west of Adelaide
- roadwork on Veterans Memorial Parkway, Horton Street East and Wonderland/Oxford Intersection area.
- roadwork and bike lanes on Cheapside McNay to Highbury
- storm water management pond at Dingman Creek
The City plans to reconstruct 95 lane km of road, 21 km of sanitary and storm sewer, and 11.8 km of watermains. The program also includes relining of approximately 7.5 km of watermains and 15 km of sewer using trenchless technologies, which avoids the cost and social impact of open excavations. The 2016 investment in water, wastewater and transportation infrastructure totals $173.8 million.
These projects will improve water quality for residents, while reducing basement flooding and sewer overflows. Project locations are prioritized based on the condition of the existing infrastructure.
All projects will include the necessary traffic restrictions and detours to ensure the work can be completed safely. Transportation planning has been carried out to ensure these projects do not have a cumulative traffic effect in any one area of the city.
The construction planned for 2016 will have impacts on residents, businesses, and commuters. The City has been working with stakeholders to ensure those immediately affected can plan appropriately for the impacts of these projects.
Every effort is being made to ensure Londoners are aware of construction zones and traffic detours resulting from road work, sewer rehabilitation and watermain relining projects. Daily updates are available with information about road closures, ongoing and upcoming projects on City streets. The page also features an interactive map which provides information about projects by clicking on the location.
The Renew London program is a key component of Council’s Strategic Plan: Building a Sustainable City.
Top 10 City Projects
1. Fanshawe Park Road from Adelaide to McLean $12.6m
2. Sarnia Road from Wonderland to Sleightholme $8.99m
3. Commissioners Road Phase 2 from Wonderland to Andover $13m, Phase 2 $8m
4. Veterans Memorial Parkway from HWY 401 to north of Gore $5.93m
5. Wonderland / Oxford Intersection and area $3m
6. Florence St / Kellogg Lane $5.78m
7. Victoria Street from St George to Colborne $4.47m
8. Windermere Road Bridge over Stoney Creek $900k
9. Horton Street East from Richmond to Thames River $500k
10. Riverbend Tributary 'C' $12m