Name the Community Centre
There will be a Public Participation Meeting at the Community and Protective Services Committee on October 8, 2019, where residents can share ideas to name the new community centre on Wavell Street in London's east end.
The name that was proposed for the community centre is The Community Centre on Wavell.
There are two options to give comment about the proposed name of the new community centre on Wavell Street:
1. Attend the Public Participation Meeting of the Community and Protective Services Committee, on Tuesday, October 8, at 4:15 p.m. This will be held in Council Chambers. Residents can sit in the gallery from the 3rd floor of City Hall. The committee will announce when it's time for the committee to take comments, and residents can walk to the microphone, state their name and share their comments.
2. If you are unable to attend the committee meeting, written submissions are accepted until Monday, October 7, 2019, at 9 a.m.
- They can be delivered or mailed to the City Clerk’s Office, Room 308, 300 Dufferin Avenue, P.O. Box 5035, London, ON N6A 4L9.
- Or they can be e-mailed to email@example.com
Council will consider the recommendations made by the Community and Protective Services Committee at its meeting on October 15, 2019.
The East Community Centre is now under construction!
In early 2016, the City of London began to design a new 42,000 square foot community centre at East Lion’s Park featuring an indoor pool, gymnasium, multi-purpose activity space, community kitchen and Artisan space.
This project will create a beautiful, modern space within the community and provide a wide range of programs and services to the local neighbourhood and serve as a regional destination for indoor aquatics. More than a recreation facility, this new centre will become a community hub where neighbours can come together and build new relationships, where children can meet new friends, and where Londoners of all ages can learn new skills and enjoy the benefits of recreation through participation.
The East Lions Park site was chosen after an extensive public engagement process and evaluation of several sites. Located in the heart of the Argyle neighbourhood, this location has excellent public transit service and is easily accessible by surrounding communities. The large size of the park provides an opportunity to integrate the building with the park and form a connected experience while preserving as much of the park space as possible.
- Final Design completed June 2017
- Demolition of existing building, outdoor pool and tennis courts – November 2017
- Construction began - November 2017
- Park construction - Will begin Summer 2019
- New Building to be Open – Early 2020
The Final design for the East Community Centre was revealed at the Ground Breaking on November 8, 2017. Monthly construction updates will be posted on this web site.
Interior Community Space
East Lions Park Redevelopment (2019)
To view the Floor Plans, click here.
Sponsorship & Donation Opportunities
For sponsorship and naming right opportunities, please see our Sponsorship and Advertising Program here.
If you are interested in making a donation toward this exciting project to enhance the Community Centre, please visit www.london.ca/eastccdonations to learn more!