The City of London’s waiving or reducing fees policy is intended to help provide affordable and equitable access to community centres and recreation facilities. It is designed to help community groups and organizations whose goals are in line with Council’s strategic priority of Strengthening Our Community, and also where community groups and organizations find Council approved facility rental rates to be a financial barrier.
(Please note: Applicants may be required to demonstrate why approved rental fees constitute a financial barrier to access.)
Some examples of groups that would be considered eligible for waiving / reducing fees include:
- Individuals/groups trying to draw together their local ethno-cultural or geographic community;
- Collaborations or networks of organizations serving Londoners, needing a temporary location for planning meetings;
- Neighbourhood based groups desiring to organize local free, publicly accessible events;
- Not-for-profit organizations needing a temporary location to train volunteers employed in delivering their services.
Some examples of groups that would not be considered eligible for waiving / reducing fees under this policy include:
- Fundraisers or other events held to generate financial support for a charity or other enterprise;
- Private functions by individuals/groups;
- Campaigns or events held for political purposes.
Other Aspects to Consider Requests
- Requests will be considered based on the fit of the request within the intent of the Policy found here
- Access to space is not guaranteed and will be reviewed annually.
- Requests will be considered within one calendar year at a time (i.e. within a given January 1st to December 31st period) and to a maximum of 15 bookings per year. Requests for use of space in different calendar years will require separate applications.
- Under this policy, approved requests will be accepted if required space is available.
- Staffing fees will apply to bookings outside of regular hours of facility operation.
- Administrative fees including taxes, tariffs (e.g. SOCAN, Re Sound), liability insurance and all other requirements of the rental contract are the responsibility of the applicant.
- City of London staff will be in contact within two business days of request submission to confirm details of application.