"The Green" refers to the land located on the south side of the Normal School, situated at the corner of Elmwood Avenue East and Wortley Road. "The Green" can be accessed from Wortley Road, Duchess Avenue and Marley Place.
Built in 1898, the Normal School provided teachers’ training from 1900 to 1956. The school building and yard was given heritage designation in 1985 by the Ontario Heritage Trust. The intent of the designation is to conserve the aesthetic and scenic character and condition of the building and its exterior.
The City of London purchased the building and land in 2014 and was encumbered with the heritage easement. The City cannot make any changes to the heritage features of the site without written approval of the Trust.
Help us decide the future of 'The Green'
In the spring of 2016, the City invited members of the Old South Community to weigh in on visions for the open space.
City staff have taken the feedback from the community and developed a conceptual plan for the park.
A public meeting will be held to present the outcomes of the 2016 public survey and to present a concept plan. The meeting is an opportunity for the community to provide comments on the park conceptual design being proposed by the City and to have input into the “accessibility" of the park.
When: Thursday, April 6, 2017
Time: 7:00 to 8:30pm
Where: 165 Elmwood Avenue East (the Wortley YMCA)
General questions about the public meeting can be directed to Lisa McNiven or (519) 661-2500 ext. 4692
Please contact 519-661-2500 Ext. 2425 or Accessibility email by April 3, 2017 if you need information in an alternate format, or require the assistance of a communication support. Arrangements are made upon request by submitting a Customer Accommodation Request Form and at no additional cost.