Social Housing General Information
The City of London, Housing Access Centre (HAC) provides information, takes applications and maintains the waitlist on behalf of the housing providers for social housing. To apply for social housing you must complete an Application package for Rent-Geared-To-Income housing.
Applications are available from this Website or for pick-up at Citi Plaza, 355 Wellington Street, Suite 248, (2nd floor) or call 519-661-0861 and we will mail one to you.
The Housing Access Centre does not offer Housing to applicants, predict or guess when you will be housed, they do not provide emergency accommodations and is not a private market rental agency.
Qualify for Social Housing
To qualify for social housing in the City of London and the County of Middlesex, applicants must:
- Be 16 years of age or older and be able to live independently.
- Each member must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, or Refugee Claimant.
- No member of households has a deportation order, departure or exclusion order under the Immigration Act.
- No member of household owes arrears, for either rent or damage to any social housing units.
Apply for Social Housing
There are two ways you can apply for social housing. You can either click to apply online or complete the following steps:
The basic Application consists of the following two (2) forms. Download and print both forms:
The forms are Adobe PDF. To download and print you must have the latest in Adobe's PDF on your computer. Click on the Adobe’s link for a free download.
You may qualify for Special Priority Status or Urgent Status. Look at the forms below. If any of the circumstances seem to apply to you, then complete the forms and submit them with your basic application. All forms are Adobe PDF. Click on the Adobe’s link for a free download.
You would use these forms if you are a victim of domestic violence and need to find housing right away.
- Request for Special Priority Form, Sample Letter for Special Priority Policy and Verification of Abuse for Special Priority Form
Urgent Application Forms
You would use these forms if you are either homeless, have a medical urgency need or a social urgency need to live in social housing.
- Request for Urgent Homeless Status Form
- Request for Urgent Medical Status Form
- Request for Urgent Social Status Form
Additional Application Forms
- Independent Living Assessment Form - You would use this form if asked by the Housing Access Centre concerning your independent living.
- Divestment of Residential Property - You would use this form when you own a property
- Request for Internal Review - You would use this form to appeal any decision made by the Housing Access Centre or your social housing provider/landlord.
- Request for Final Review - You would use this form if you are not satisfied with the decision made by either the Housing Access Centre or the social housing provider/landlord thru the request for internal review.
Submit your forms and documents to the Housing Access Centre:
Citi Plaza, 355 Wellington Streeet
Suite 248, 2nd Floor
London, ON N6A 3N7
Telephone: 519- 661-0861
Regular business hours:
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 8:30a.m. - 4:00p.m.
Tuesday 8:30a.m. - 6:00p.m.
(Please note that applications will not be accepted by fax)
It takes 2-4 weeks for an application to be processed. Once you have been determined eligible for social housing you will be placed on the waiting list for each building complex you selected. However, because of the high demand for subsidized housing the wait may take many years.
All applications got instructions on how to complete, the documents required and where to send the application. Incomplete applications may be returned to you unprocessed.
The following is a list of all the required documents that must be provided with your application for everyone listed on the application form. Some items may not apply to some individuals.
- Copies of Canadian birth certificates, Canadian passport, landed immigrant, permanent resident card or refugee claimant documents for ALL members of the household.
- Custody documentation or agreement (i.e. Court/lawyer/CAS, ex-partner, etc.).
- A copy of a repayment schedule for anyone in your household who owes money to an Ontario social housing.
- Copies of ALL household monthly income of you and all persons who will be living with you.
- Self-employed - please provide proof of income such as your latest income tax, investment Interest income, pay stubs, etc.
- Copies of owned assets of all household.
- If pregnant, provide proof of pregnancy i.e. doctors note or ultra sound picture.
- If you are claiming homelessness, abuse, a serious medical condition, a dangerous or life threatening situation, etc., proof is required from someone in a professional position (court/lawyer/doctor/police/worker).