The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)
Household Special Waste

Household Special Waste

What is Household Special Waste?

Household Special Waste (HSW) is any material that is corrosive, flammable, ignitable or reactive, examples are listed below.  All households put together have very large - and potentially harmful - quantities of these items if not managed safely. Stewardship Ontario's Orange Drop Program allows Ontarians to return designated materials to local Municipal Depots, retail sites and collection events across Ontario. Visit the Orange Drop website for a disposal location near you and for paint disposal, visit the Regeneration website.

Depot Locations and Hours of Operation


Household Special Waste Depot
3502 Manning Drive
Open Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Closed Sundays and Statutory Holidays




HSW in the Home

  • bleach
  • cleansers
  • drain cleaners
  • batteries
  • flea powder
  • compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
  • fluorescent tubes
  • nail polish & remover
  • oven cleaners
  • photographic chemicals
  • thermometers, thermostats, carbon monoxide detectors
  • waste vegetable oil

HSW in the Garage

  • antifreeze
  • car batteries
  • brake fluid
  • gasoline
  • glues
  • motor oil
  • car care products
  • turpentine
  • paint (empty paint cans with their lids off can go in your blue box). Visit Regeneration for other paint recycling locations near you.
  • paint thinners, solvents

HSW in the Yard

  • fertilizers
  • herbicides
  • insecticides
  • pesticides
  • pool chemicals
  • propane tanks & cylinders

It is important to keep these items out of our landfill and properly managed for disposal.  Please note that empty metal paint cans (with the lids removed) can be recycled in your Blue Box.

Household Special Waste Depot Location

The Household Special Waste Depot is located at the City's W12A Landfill Site, 3502 Manning Drive, five kilometres south of Hwy. 401, west of Wellington Road.

Cost To Take Materials To The Household Special Waste Depot

This is a depot for residential use and there is no charge.  Read below for information on disposal for small businesses.

Who Can Use The Household Special Waste Depot?

The Depot is open to residents of the City of London and Middlesex County, and to businesses disposing of small quantities of HSW from London and Middlesex County. Businesses wishing to dispose of household special waste need to complete the Small Quantity Exemption Approval Form.  This form lists the maximum amount of material that can be accepted from a business.  Businesses with large quantities cannot use this Depot and must dispose of their special waste with a private contractor according to provincial regulations.

Where Can I Recycle Items Like Appliances and Electronics?

The City of London EnviroDepots accept electronics, including TVs & monitors for recycling, as well as refrigerant containing appliances and tires. 

Handling Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)

Take compact fluorescent lights (CFL) to a drop-off location.  CFLs and fluorescent tubes contain mercury and should NEVER be put in your garbage or Blue Box.  CFLs are a good choice for consumers because of the energy saving benefits, however need to be handled with care.  CFLs and fluorescent tubes are accepted at the Household Special Waste Depot and EnviroDepots and at some retail locations. Check our Reuse & Recycling pamphlet (PDF) for locations.  Businesses and institutions with larger quantities should visit Take Back the Light. For further information on CFLs and safe handling, please refer to the Natural Resources Canada website.

Last modified: