Every year fires are caused from careless disposal of smoking materials . Between the years 2007-2011, 7% of Ontario's fires were caused by smoking materials. In 2001, 90% of fires started by smoking materials occurred in the home.
- Encourage smokers to smoke outside.
- Dispose of cigarettes outside in non combustible containers. Do not use flower pots or potting soil.
- Keep ashtrays or containers away from combustible materials and buildings.
- Ensure cigarettes are fully extinguished before leaving the room.
- Empty ashtrays into a can or other metal container, do not dump them directly into the garbage.
- Ensure all lighters and matches are kept away from small children.
- Make sure smoke alarms are installed and working throughout the home.
- Never smoke in bed or mix smoking with medication or alcohol.