Fires can easily start in your kitchen. Follow these tips to keep your kitchen safe!
- Never Leave Cooking Unattended! Never leave home when a microwave oven, stove burner, or oven is on. Keep a close eye on what you're cooking.
- Keep Your Cooking Area Clean. Many items in the kitchen can catch fire easily including pot holders, dish towels, and product packaging. Keep curtains away from the stove and clean up all spills on the stove top or near by counters.
- Clean your oven regularly. Many kitchen fires start because of built up grease.
- Kids & Pets Should Stay Clear. There is an imaginary kid-free zone one metre around your kitchen stove. Enforce it strictly. Also keep pets from running around underfoot. They might cause you to trip when you're holding or near to something very hot.
- Always Turn Pot Handles In! It is too easy for a child to reach up and grab or hit a pot or pan handle that's sticking out over the edge of the stovetop. Scalding injuries can be quite serious.
- Watch Your Sleeves. Be mindful of what you're wearing while cooking. Loose sleeves over hot stove burners can catch fire. Wear clothing with snug cuffs or roll up the sleeves. If you store things above your stovetop, your clothing could catch fire when you lean over stove burners to reach up.
- If a fire starts in your oven or microwave oven, keep the door closed to prevent air from feeding the flames. Turn the appliance off or pull the plug. If the flames don't die out quickly, call Fire Services using 911.
- Always Be Alert! Don't cook if you're under the influence of alcohol. The same goes if you're drowsy from medication or fatigue.
Cooking with Oil:
If you are using cooking oil, heat it slowly and never leave the pot or pan unattended. Keep close at hand a large lid that would fully cover any cooking vessels on the stove. If the oil or grease should catch fire, the lid can be put over the flames to smother them. Never try to put out an oil or grease fire with water. It will spatter, possibly spreading the fire.