Environmentally Significant Areas (ESAs) have beautiful natural features and perform ecological functions that warrant their protection in a natural state. City-owned ESAs have a purpose and function distinct from City parks as governed by the Official Plan. The City, in partnership with the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority (UTRCA), manages our ESAs; Kilally Meadows, Meadowlily Woods, Medway Valley Heritage Forest, Sifton Bog, Warbler Woods, Kains Woods, The Coves, Lower Dingman, and Westminster Ponds / Pond Mills. Any of our City-owned ESAs are eligible for ‘adoption’. As our ESAs are so large, a section of the ESA can be identified. Many existing Adopt-an-ESA groups are welcoming new members to participate in local stewardship.
Stewardship of your adopted ESA can include:
- Litter clean-up along managed trails
- Exotic / Invasive species removal
- Tree and shrub planting
- Observation and reporting of hazards
- The Coves ESA Ecological Restoration Update Walk, November 29, 2018 - All Welcome
- Loosestrife Beetle Release Event, June 7, 2018 – All Welcome!
- 2017-2018 Habitat Protection, Restoration and Stewardship Initiatives
For more information please e-mail or call 519-661-4980.