Wharncliffe Road South was identified as a priority in the 2030 Transportation Master Plan (TMP), as part of the growth management implementation strategy for transportation projects. The TMP recommended widening Wharncliffe Road South from Becher Street to Springbank Drive from 2 lanes to 4 lanes as well as the possible widening of the Canadian National Railway (CNR) Subway. Recommendation was also made for the optimization of the Wharncliffe Road South corridor from Horton Street to Commissioners Road West. The EA is essential in order to proceed with the implementation of transportation infrastructure and operational improvement needs for the Wharncliffe Road South corridor.
The Wharncliffe Road EA Study will:
- Confirm the needs of the Wharncliffe Road corridor, recognizing the full range of users within the community including pedestrians, cyclists, rail, transit vehicles and motorists.
- Identify and assess a range of planning and design alternatives based on localized needs and recognizing that recommended improvements may vary along the corridor.
- Consider access management within the corridor.
- Consider goods movement needs within the corridor, including both designated routes and access for local deliveries along with passenger transportation needs.
- Develop a functional and visually attractive design concept for vehicular travel lanes, bike lanes, and sidewalks that reflects both the existing and planned land use, urban form and transportation contexts.