Some Facts About Idling
- The average Canadian idles their car for about 5-10 minutes per day. Some of this is unavoidable (i.e., waiting at red lights), but a lot of idling is avoidable. This works out to roughly 20,000 to 40,000 tonnes of greenhouse gases per year, or about 1% of all greenhouse gas emissions from London.
- Your engine uses more fuel when it is cold. The best way to warm it up is to drive it – it warms up faster, and you are already on your way to your destination.
- If every Londoner reduced idling by just 1 minute per day:
- Over 1.5 million litres of gasoline would be saved every year
- 100 tanker trucks of gas would be saved
- $1.2 million would be saved, available to spend elsewhere in London
- Greenhouse gas emissions would be reduced by almost 3,800 tonnes per year
Do Your Part
Help the City of London spread the word. Download the posters.
For more information, visit the Natural Resources Canada's Idle-Free Zone website.