The City of London will be collecting Christmas trees at homes with curbside collection beginning Monday, January 6. Trees should be placed at the curb by 7 a.m. on Monday for collection during the week. Collected trees will to be chipped and composted. Crews will only collect from each neighbourhood once.
To ensure collection occurs, please remember to:
- Remove plastic bags. Trees in plastic bags will not be collected.
- Remove all decorations, tinsel, garland, skirts and lights from trees.
- Place trees on level ground within one meter of the curb.
- Make sure trees are not frozen to the ground or in snow banks.
Other Options for Christmas Tree Recycling:
- Bring Christmas trees and other holiday greenery to an EnviroDepot. See the EnviroDepot webpage for locations and winter hours of operation.
- Place your Christmas tree in your backyard to provide birds with additional shelter opportunities from winter winds and predators. In the spring, place at the curb for yard waste collection. Check the online Zone Finder for your spring schedule.
Additional Holiday Recycling Tips
- Put gift wrap, ribbons, bows, and bags in the trash can. These items are not recyclable.
- Break down, flatten and bundle your cardboard boxes or stack them flattened in your recycling bin.
- Things like take-out coffee cups, milk cartons, and juice boxes belong with other recyclable containers, and not paper. Here's a tip to help you sort it right: If you can drink out of it, it's a container.
- Avoid “Wishcycling.” Just because you “wish” you could recycle something, doesn’t mean you can. When in doubt, leave it out.
- Download the Recycle Coach app to help answer what goes where in our recycling program. Recycle Coach also includes personalized collection calendars, information on London’s recycling program, and collection reminders all accessible from your phone or device.