As London continues to experience ongoing high temperatures this week, the City of London is opening a new cooling centre location for Londoners looking for relief from the heat.
Beginning today, Thursday, July 9, the cooling centre will be located at the Hamilton Road Seniors' Centre and Community Centre, 525 Hamilton Road. The centre is open to people who need reprieve from the heat between 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. and will provide an indoor cooling space as well as water. Other amenities within the centre will not be available. All provincial and local health guidelines and appropriate measures will be in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The cooling centre previously at the South London Community Centre is closed to prepare for upcoming summer day camps.
In addition to the cooling centre, a number of community agencies continue to work together to support those accessing their services during the extreme heat. This includes:
- The Coordinated Informed Response program as part of their outreach will offer refreshments and snacks where needed
- The Salvation Army Centre of Hope water truck service is available daily between 12 and 2 p.m.
- London Cares will be increasing their outreach presence and providing water to people in the core area.
- The Youth Action Centre will also have water available and cooling spaces for under 5 people at a time.
- Atlohsa will provide a resting space through referral from downtown outreach teams and will increase water and snack distribution
- The Ark will be providing supports and services for under 5 people at a time. They will also provide curb side pick-up for water
- The Canadian Mental Health Association will distribute water through My Sisters Place daily
- Hygiene facilities available at the Downtown Centre Branch YMCA with showers, food, water and cooling site
Water fountains have reopened in Victoria Park, Gibbons Park, Springbank West Park, Pump House Park and the Springbank House.
Londoners looking to beat the heat can also visit spray pads and wading pools and several local pools which have recently opened for the season. For information on booking a time slot for recreation or lane swimming, please visit london.ca/aquatics for further details.
For heat-related information and tips to avoid the risks of heat-related illness, please visit http://www.healthunit.com/extreme-heat.