London Bicycle Master Plan Study
||Cycling in the City of London is recognized as playing an
important role in achieving a balanced transportation system and promoting
an active and healthy lifestyle.
The London Bicycle Master Plan is intended to guide the City in the development
of a long term, comprehensive, on and off-road commuter and recreational
The purpose of the Bicycle Master Plan is to guide the development of a long
term, comprehensive, city-wide, on and off-road commuter and recreational bicycling
network. Generally, the Guideline shall serve to:
- advance a vision for cycling;
- detail a series of first principles to implement this vision;
- define a strategic approach for the commuter and recreational cyclist that
recognizes the distinct operational and design needs of the specific user;
- depict existing and proposed on and off-road facilities;
- advance minimum design standards for facility development; and,
- recommend mechanisms for implementation.
Specifically, the Plan shall serve to:
- provide guidance in the development and coordination of on and off-road
infrastructure projects to ensure that opportunities to add to the existing
City-wide system are not lost;
- inform all parties to the development review process of Council's long-term
vision for on and off-road bicycling facilities;
- assist in the review of area plans, plans of subdivision, development applications
and consents where the inclusion of on and off-road facilities contribute to
the development of linkages and extensions to existing routes;
- provide guidance for the planning of various City-initiated capital transportation
projects which will fill "gaps", provide extensions to the bicycle network,
or meet interim term needs in an alternate fashion;
- forward minimum standards for the development of on and off-road bicycle
- provide guidance for the timing and prioritization of bicycle route signage;
- support the SHIFT (Solutions to Help Individuals Find
Transportation) Alternatives Program by promoting the reduction of auto usage,
the reduction of greenhouse gases, and increase the general health of all Londoners.
For reasons of clarity, the Bicycle Master Plan report has been divided into
specific components. Part 1 of the staff report provides a brief overview and analysis
of the issues associated with the adoption of the proposed Bicycle Master Plan.
Part 2 of the report serves to introduce a series of bicycle parking standards for
inclusion in the City's Z.-1 Zoning By-law and Site Plan Control By-law. The report
concludes with a series of recommended next steps.
The Bicycle Master Plan and implementing Official Plan amendment have been included
as Appendix 1 and 1a) to the staff report. The Z.-1 Zoning By-law amendment and
Site Plan Control By-law amendments have been attached as Appendix 2 and 2a).
Disclaimer - The Bicycle Master Plan represents
a long term vision for the development of bicycle infrastructure in the City of
London. The Plan is not intended to depict existing on or off-road cycling routes.
To view the current approved cycling routes please visit the following link,
The London 2030 Transportation Master Plan study is underway. Visit "Smart
Moves: What moves you?" for more information
To find out about cycling safety in London,
For further information please contact:
|Mr. Brian Turcotte
Planner, City of London
300 Dufferin Avenue, PO Box 5035, London Ontario, N6A 4L9
Phone: 519.661.2500 ext 4651 Fax: 519.661.5397