Recent fires Reinforce need for safer cooking practices
practices in recent weeks were responsible for five fires in London and we’re
seeing an increase in fire related injuries. Because these fires were easily
preventable, the London Fire Department is urging residents to stay in the
kitchen when cooking.
“The hustle and bustle of everyday life means it can be very easy to become
distracted and called away from the kitchen,” said Public Fire & Life Safety
Educator Jason Poole “Unattended cooking is the leading cause of residential
fires in Ontario. People must stay in the kitchen to keep an eye on their
Important steps to prevent cooking fires include:
Stay in the kitchen while
you cook, particularly if you are using oil or high temperatures. If you
must leave for any reason, turn off the stove.
Keep combustible items such
as cooking utensils and paper towels a safe distance from your stove. They
can easily ignite if they are too close to a burner.
Keep a tight-fitting lid
near the stove when cooking. If a pot catches fire, slide the lid over the
pot and turn off the stove. Leave pot alone until cool.
Drink responsibly and keep
an eye on those who do not. Excessive alcohol use often is a contributing
factor in many residential fires.
Remember fire doubles its
size every minute. Survive by getting outside, staying outside and calling
911 from your cell or a neighbour’s phone.
For more information please
call our Fire Prevention Division at 519-661-2500 ext. 4565.