June 1, 2010
Fire Officials Urge Caution in the Storage and use of Propane
Barbecues Following Serious Accident
The London Fire Department responded to an explosion in a Sunrise Crescent home
early Monday in which a male was badly injured.
A joint investigation is currently underway by the Office of the Fire Marshal
and the London Fire Department. Preliminary findings indicate that the explosion
and fire may have resulted due to improper use of a propane barbecue.
It is highly stressed that you:
- Store and use your barbecue outdoors in a well-ventilated area clear of the
house, windows, or doors and far from anything that might obstruct the flow of
air around the grill.
- Ensure the propane cylinder is secure, upright, and least three metres (10
feet) away from other sources of heat or ignition.
- Always open the barbecue lid before lighting the burner.
- Use the service valve on the propane cylinder to turn on the gas supply. Next,
turn on the burner and immediately use the igniter switch. If it doesn’t start
within 5 seconds, turn off the burner, open the lid and wait 60 seconds before
- When finished with the barbecue, turn off the service valve first to ensure
there is no propane left in the hose; once the flame goes out, close the burner
- Make sure the gas grill is shut off and has cooled completely before covering
- Never use matches or lighters to check for propane leaks.
- To check for leaks, brush a mixture of 50% liquid soap and 50% water onto all
connections and valves. If rising bubbles appears, you have a leak.
- Check your connections and test again. If leak continues, shut off the service
valve and contact a qualified service technician.
For further information,
Deputy Chief Dan Oldridge