Building Permits: A Guide for Home Owners
Permit Application to Finish a Basement
When Finishing a Basement, the following information is required:
- Provide minimum 6'-5" headroom below beams/ducts and over stairs and landings. Minimum 6'-11" headroom is required in all other areas.
- Provide 3 way switch at top and bottom of stairs
- All lighting and electrical to comply with O.B.C. Division B - 9.34.
- Undercut all doors 3/4" to rooms without return air.
- Provide minimum one air supply per room. Extend duct work to floor level to provide low wall supply to bathe exterior walls.
- Floor levels containing bedrooms to have a window that can be opened from the inside, with and unobstructed open portion of minimum 3.8ft sq., with no dimension less than 15".
- Carbon monoxide detectors to be
hardwired and installed adjacent to bedrooms.
- All wood in contact with concrete to be protected from moisture.
- Smoke alarms required on each floor level and to be interconnected
- Provide minimum 50 c.f.m. exhaust fan vented to the exterior in bathrooms.
- Minimum R12 insulation
installed to maximum 15" above finished floor of the basement.
- Protect both sides of stairs and landings with guards to SB-7 of the O.B.C. or walls. Provide hand rail along walls where width of stairs are less than 3'-7". (Both walls where 3'-7" or greater.)