The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Running for Office

Municipal Elections happen every four years in Ontario.  The guidelines for the conduct of an election are set out in the Municipal Elections Act. To run for office you must be an eligible elector in the City of London.

The last Municipal Elections were held Monday, October 22, 2018.  The elections were conducted for a term of office commencing December 1, 2018, and ending November 14, 2022.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Expand All
Collapse All
  • How do I file Nomination Papers?

    Nominations can be filed starting May 1, 2018 and ending July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m. You must file in person at 300 Dufferin Ave in the Elections Office in the Lower Level of City Hall. You must complete the following forms:

    1. Nomination Form
    2. Signature of 25 voters supporting the nomination*
    3. Declaration of Qualifications for Municipal Candidates
      - or -
      Declaration of Qualifications for School Board Candidates

    You will also need to pay the nomination fee:

    •  $200 for Mayor
    •  $100 for Councillor or School Board Trustee

    We accept cash, debit, credit and certified cheques.

    You will need to provide identification and to swear an oath at our office.

    * The requirement to submit 25 nomination signatures does not apply to  candidates running for school board trustee positions.

  • Where are the nomination papers available?

    Nomination papers are now available (online and at the Elections Office in the Lower Level of City Hall at 300 Dufferin Ave).


  • Where and how are the Voter's Lists provided?

    The Voters’ List will be available to candidates on September 1, 2018. On the written request of a certified candidate for an office, the clerk shall provide him or her with the part of the Voters’ List that contains the names of the electors who are entitled to vote for that office. The Voters’ List can be an electronic copy or a paper copy. You are entitled to two (2) copies for campaign purposes.

  • What type of materials can I expect from the Election Office to assist with my campaign?
    • Notice of Penalties
    • Illustrated Guide to Election Signs
    • Tabulator Procedures
    • Two paper copies of the Voters’ List (after September 1)
    • Street Index
    • Two ward maps
    • List of Changes to the Voters’ List (after the Advance Voting Period)
    • Scrutineer Forms
    • List of Voting Places
  • When can I start campaigning?

    You can only start campaigning after you file your nomination papers.

  • When can I put up signs?

    Municipal Elections signs can be placed as of Nomination Day, which is Friday, July 27, 2018.


  • How do I know if I am disqualified from holding office?

    It is the responsibility of each candidate to ensure they are qualified to seek the office for which they are being nominated. If you are unsure, seek legal advice immediately. You will also be required to swear an oath of qualification when filing your nomination.

  • How does a candidate choose which ward to run in? Do you have to live in the ward you are running in?

    A candidate can run for office in the ward of their choice.  You do not have to live in the same ward you are running in.  However, you do have to vote from the address at which you reside.  For example, you live in Ward 2, but are running in Ward 10.  You have to vote in Ward 2.

  • What is the definition of a residence?

    In accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 a person’s residence is “the permanent lodging place to which, whenever absent, he or she intends to return”.


    The following rules apply in determining a person’s residence:

    • A person may only have one residence at a time
    • The place where a person’s family resides is also his or her residence, unless he or she moves elsewhere with the intention of changing his or her permanent lodging place
    • If a person has no other permanent lodging place, the place where he or she occupies a room or part of a room as a regular lodger or to which he or she habitually returns.
  • Are there limitations on entering apartment buildings after submitting nomination papers?

    Campaign provisions have been clarified to allow candidates to access apartment buildings, condominiums, non-profit housing co-ops or gated communities from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. in order to campaign. Landlords and condominium corporations will not be allowed to prohibit tenants or owners from displaying campaign signs in their windows. Here are the excerpts from the legislation:

    Access to residential premises

       88.1  No person who is in control of an apartment building, condominium building, non-profit housing cooperative or gated community may prevent a candidate or his or her representative from campaigning between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. at the doors to the apartments, units or houses, as the case may be.

    Display of signs at residential premises

       88.2  (1)  No landlord or person acting on a landlord’s behalf may prohibit  a tenant from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises to which the lease relates.

    Same, condominium corporations

       (2)  No condominium corporation or any of its agents may prohibit the owner or tenant of a condominium unit from displaying signs in relation to an election on the premises of his or her unit.


       (3)  Despite subsections (1) and (2), a landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may set reasonable conditions relating to the size or type of signs in relation to an election that may be displayed on the premises and may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building in which the premises are found.


       (4)  Despite subsection (3), no landlord, person, condominium corporation or agent may prohibit the display of signs in relation to an election in common areas of the building if space in the building is being used as a voting place.

    The legislation regarding the rights of candidates to enter apartment buildings, condominiums, and non-profits for the purposes of canvassing can also be found in the Condominium Act, 1998, S.O. 1998, Chapter 19, Residential Tenancies Act , 2006, S.O. 2006, Chapter 17 and Co-operative Corporations Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter C.35

    When you file your nomination papers, you will receive a copy of this information to provide landlords, if asked.

  • Do the Provincial and Federal Governments eliminate nomination fees?

    Currently, provincial legislation requires payment of nomination fees at the time of filing your papers.  The fees are $200.00 for the office of Mayor and $100.00 for Councillor and School Board Trustee. Every candidate will be entitled to a refund of the nomination fee if they file their campaign financial statement and, if needed, the auditor’s report by the deadline.

  • Do the tabulators keep a paper record?

    Yes, the tabulators keep a record of the ballots.  The ballots are counted as they are inserted into the machine and ballot box. The City Clerk is required to keep the ballots for 120 days after the results of the election are declared.

  • Have there been any changes to legislation since the last election?

    Yes, the Municipal Elections Modernization Act, passed June 7, 2016 made changes to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996. These changes affect the Nomination Calendar, Eligibility, Third Party Advertising, Ranked Ballot Voting, Campaign Finance, Accessibility, Campaign Advertising and Election Administration for 2018. Some of these changes came into effect immediately after Royal Assent and certain changes do not come into effect until April 1, 2018. A summary of these changes can be found online at

  • How are students counted towards votes?

    If a student in the City of London meets the general eligibility requirements they are entitled to vote in the City of London municipal election.

  • How do I find out how many people are running in a ward?

    The City of London will post the names of candidates online and at City Hall outside the Election Office in the Lower Level as candidates file their nomination papers.

  • How are financial statement forms provided to candidates?

    The Elections Office staff will provide you with a blank copy of the Financial Statement – Form 4 with your nomination package. The City Clerk will also notify you by registered mail following the municipal election. These forms will also be available upon request with the Election Office at 519 661-4535 or and online at


    Please note it is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure their papers are completed accurately, truthfully, and within the legislated timelines. Failure to submit your financial statement can result in the immediate removal from office if elected, the inability to run in the next municipal election, and other penalties under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996.All financial statements are posted online at upon their filing with the City Clerk.

  • Is it possible to do the nomination online?

    No, you must file your nomination papers in person at the Election Office.

  • Are qualifications only at the time of the nomination or throughout the election?

    You must be eligible to run for office at the time of nomination and throughout the election. If you are elected, you must maintain your eligibility during your time in office.

  • Is there a fee for the electronic copy of the Voters' List?

    There is a fee for an electronic copy of the Voters’ List.  It is $50.00 per ward and $350.00 for the City-wide Voters’ List.  You must be an eligible candidate in order to obtain this list and can only use it for election purposes.

  • How do candidates prove the Voters' List has been destroyed after the Election?

    Candidates will sign a declaration swearing that you will destroy the Voters’ List in an acceptable manner. If you would like to return your list to the City Clerk’s Office we will ensure the list is destroyed on your behalf.

  • Is there a Deputy Mayor position?

    Yes, the City of London has a Deputy Mayor position. A Member of Council shall be appointed to serve as Deputy Mayor to assist the Mayor in carrying out their powers and duties and/or act in the place of the head of council or other member of council designated to preside at meetings when the head of council or designated member is absent or refuses to act or the office is vacant

    The Deputy Mayor shall be selected by the Mayor, confirmed by a majority vote of the Municipal Council and appointed by by-law at the Inaugural Meeting of Municipal Council. The Mayor may, at their discretion, change their selection for Deputy Mayor throughout the course of his/her term as Mayor, in order to allow the Mayor to effectively draw upon the varied skill sets of Council Members. Any subsequent selection for Deputy Mayor shall be confirmed by Council, and appointed by by-law.

  • Are candidates required to provide a list of citizens supporting their nomination?

    Yes, the nomination of a person for an office on a council must be endorsed by at least 25 persons, and they may endorse more than one nomination. Persons endorsing a nomination must be eligible to vote in an election for an office within the municipality, if a regular election was held on the day that the person endorses the nomination.

  • If you are employed by the City or a Board or Commission, does this disqualify you?

    An employee of a municipality or local board is eligible to be a candidate for and to be elected as a member of the council or local board that is the employer if he or she takes an unpaid leave of absence beginning as of the day the employee is nominated and ending on Voting Day. If the employee is elected to the office, he or she shall be deemed to have resigned from the employment immediately before making the declaration of office. Please consult legislation in the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 and the Municipal Act, 2001.

  • How do you determine which name goes on the ballot (eg. nicknames)?

    When you file your nomination papers there will be a section for you to write down your name as you want it to appear on the ballot. If you normally go by a different name than your legal first name, you may use that name provided the City Clerk agrees.


    Example: Your name is John Alexander William Turner

    • if you normally go by John Turner, print Turner, John on the nomination form
    • if you normally go by Alex Turner, and the City Clerk agrees, print Turner, Alex on the nomination form
    • if you normally go by John Alexander, and the City Clerk agrees, print Turner, John Alexander on the form


    You do not have to provide all of your names under Given Name(s) on the form. Only provide the one(s) that you want to appear on the ballot.

  • How do I withdraw my nomination?

    We have a Notice of Withdraw form that you will be required to complete at the Elections Office. This must be done before the close of nominations on July 27, 2018 at 2:00 p.m.

  • I filed my nomination papers; can I assume my name will appear on the ballot?

    No. The City Clerk is required to certify each nomination after it has been filed and before the close of nominations. The City Clerk will verify the candidate’s name is on the Voters’ List and therefore an eligible elector.


    It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure they meet all the qualifications and file proper nomination papers. Each candidate should contact the Election Office to ensure that their forms are in order. Since the City Clerk may examine the nominations papers after the nomination period ends and may reject them, a candidate may find that their papers have been rejected and are too late to file additional information or provide proof to the City Clerk of their qualifications.

Last modified: