The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)

Noise and Sound By-law

Ear protection elements





Enforcement of the Noise and Sound By-law is split between the City of London and the London Police Service.



Obtaining a Temporary Sound Permit for Patios

How to apply?

Submit the following information to the City of London Licensing office:

  • The name and address of the patio
  • A sound management plan prepared by an acoustic engineer containing the following:
    • A patio floor plan
    • Location and direction of all sound sources
    • A noise complaint and sound mitigation plan
  • A copy of the establishments Liquor Licence and any imposed conditions from the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO)
  • A fee of $175

You are required to mail or drop off all required documents (letter re: sound permit request, sound management plan, copy of liquor license, and payment) to:

City of London Licensing Office

P.O. Box 5035

300 Dufferin Avenue, London ON

N6A 4L9

7th Floor , City Hall



Upon receipt of the above noted information, you will be contacted to schedule a time for an on-site meeting and sound reading to determine conditions of a temporary permit ( if approved).  


Please note that the recent amendments to the Zoning by-law related to patio music are not in full force and effect until after the appeal period has expired.  We will continue to accept applications for temporary sound permits for patios during the time of the appeal period. Should an appeal occur, temporary sound permits for patios cannot be issued.  Please continue to refer to this web site as updates will be made as this process unfolds.

UPDATE - an appeal has been received and a hearing date is scheduled for May 2018.

See more information below...

NEW - Temporary Sound Permits – Music on Patios

At the recent June 13, 2017 meeting of London City Council, amendments to the Noise and Zoning by-laws were passed that addressed the topic of music on patios.  These amendments would allow music to be played on patios subject to certain and specific conditions and remove the total ban on amplified music on patios.  The City is moving from a system of total prohibition to one of controlled permission of sound.

These conditions would require all venues to apply for temporary, renewable temporary sound permits. The music could be no louder than 70 decibels. It could play no later than midnight.

As part of the temporary permit process, site visits by municipal law enforcement officers would occur that would take sound readings of each venue, to determine the appropriate maximum level of sound permitted. It is important to note that the 70 decibel level is the maximum and that Civic Administration could impose conditions on the permit restricting the decibel levels lower than 70 decibels and the time permission earlier than 12 midnight based on the surrounding land uses and patio attributes.

NEW - Occupant Noise Enhanced Enforcement

As of August 19th City of London Municipal Law Enforcement Officers will be responding to noise complaints generated by occupants of a premise.  This service is available on Friday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Saturday morning until 3:00 a.m., and Saturday evenings from 7:00 p.m. to the following Sunday morning until 3:00 am.

To register a complaint where an occupant noise is disturbing you during the time frames stated above you may call 519-930-3517.  Please listen to the message in its entirety, and in accordance with the instructions leave a voice message to initiate a complaint investigation.

If you call the number above before 7:00 p.m., or after 2:30 a.m., and listen to the entire message, the call will automatically transfer to London Police Service.

If at any time the noise of concern is related to a criminal or unlawful activity please report this to London Police Services at 519-661-5670 (automatic call transfer), but in the case of an emergency hang up and call 911.

Other Noise Complaints

Not all noise disturbances are from occupant noise; some other common reasons Municipal Law Enforcement Services would become involved in enforcing the Noise By-law are:

  • frequently barking dogs,
  • noisy mechanical equipment such as an air conditioner or pool pump,
  • construction noise.

If you are being disturbed by a noise listed above or something similar and would like to register a complaint please call 519-661-4660 or email during regular business hours (8:30am-4:30pm, Mon-Fri). You can also read the Noise Notes page for more information on this enforcement process and how we may be able to assist you.

Last modified: