The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Lottery Licensing

Licences and Permits

The City Clerk’s Office issues various licensing and permits.


Lottery Licensing

Charitable gaming refers to lottery schemes permitted by a licence under the Criminal Code of Canada.  These may include bingos, raffles, break open tickets and Monte Carlo events held by charitable and religious organizations.


Who can get a licence to conduct a lottery event?

Canada's Criminal Code permits charitable and religious organizations to conduct a lottery scheme to raise funds once a licence is issued. Organizations must have a demonstrated charitable or religious mandate to provides programs for:

  • relief of poverty;
  • advancement of education;
  • advancement of religion;
  • other charitable purposes beneficial to the community

The following pre-requisites are mandatory to be considered eligible for a lottery licence:

  • Organizations must be in existence for at least one (1) year.
  • The organization must have a place of business in Ontario; demonstrate that is established to provide charitable services, in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents.
  • The City of London will only issue a lottery licence to an organization which operates charitable facilities or programs within the County of Middlesex.

The primary purposes of an organization are determined by considering:

  • The mandate of the organization as set out in its incorporation documents or documents stating the organization's objects.
  • The objects of the organization as described in its application for licence.
  • The services which have actually been provided by the organization to the community.


What types of organizations are not eligible for lottery licensing?

Types of organizations which cannot be considered for lottery licensing include:

  • social clubs
  • professional associations, union, employee groups
  • elected representative groups including municipal, regional, provincial and federal governments
  • government ministries, agents or bodies
  • political lobby groups
  • political parties
  • adult hobby groups
  • private sports club (e.g., golf/curling)
  • adult sports teams
  • individual youth sports teams

If one of these groups wish to raise funds to donate to charities, it must become recognized as a charitable organization with an established charitable mandate, either through incorporation or by constitution and by-laws, and apply for lottery licenses to be used for projects or donations that are consistent with its charitable mandate.


How does my organization apply for lottery licensing?

Determine what type of lottery scheme (raffle, bingo, BOT) your organization intends to conduct and complete the application form with the first time questionnaire.  Please submit documentation to the City Clerk’s Office.


Where do I find the provincial office?

Alcohol & Gaming Control of Ontario
Gaming Registration & Lotteries
90 Sheppard Avenue E, Suite 200
Toronto Ontario M2N 0A4
Telephone 416 326-8700
Fax: 416 326-8711

Last modified: