You can exchange your wedding vows at City Hall* Monday through Friday (except statutory holidays) between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. The simple, dignified and non-denominational marriage conducted by the City Clerk - or designate - lasts approximately 15 minutes. Due to the civil nature of the service, there cannot be any religious connotation to the ceremony.
Wedding appointments must be made in person at the City Clerk's Office and payment is due at the time of booking. A valid Province of Ontario marriage licence is also required before the date of the ceremony. Booking your wedding can be done with a member of the City Clerk's Office at least three (3) days prior to the day of the ceremony in person at City Hall during regular business hours. A completed Civil Marriage Services application should be brought with you to book a ceremony. The details of the ceremony - including whether the event will be photographed or video taped – will be confirmed at the booking. For more information, please contact a Customer Service Representative at 519-661-4530.
Due to space restrictions, only ten guests, in addition to the marrying couple and their two witnesses, can be accommodated. Also, because you are choosing a civil ceremony, Ministry of Government Services’ requirements apply to you and your guests. Specifically, this means no music, decorations, confetti, bubbles, candles or incense will be permitted at City Hall or on its grounds, as part of your ceremony.
- Valid Province of Ontario marriage licence: Couples are requested to obtain or supply a valid Ontario Marriage License. Marriage licenses are also available from most local municipalities in Ontario.
- Two (2) witnesses: Couples must provide two witnesses (one for each partner) who must be present at the ceremony, as specified in the Marriage Act. The City of London can provide witnesses upon request for a fee of $25.00 per witness.
- Identification: Couples must present valid identification for each partner, which confirms full legal name and age. The listing of Accepted I.D. for Marriage Licences is available as a pdf document. Parental consent is required for persons who are 16 or 17 years of age.
- Marriage after divorce: If divorced in Canada, the couple must provide the original or a court-certified copy of the certificate of divorce, final decree or final judgment at the time of booking a ceremony. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- Language interpreter: Couples are responsible for bringing a language interpreter, if needed, for languages other than English. Couples who require a sign-language interpreter for the wedding consultation and/or for the wedding ceremony may make their own arrangements or may ask the Clerk’s Office to make the necessary arrangements. Either way, the cost for a sign-language interpreter will be borne by the City as required by the City of London’s Accessibility Standards for Customer Service.
City Clerk staff will not solemnize the marriage of any person who he or she knows - or has reasonable grounds to believe - lacks capacity to marry. Circumstances which make a person ineligible for the civil marriage include:
- One or both parties are under physical or mental duress.
- One or both parties fail to meet the age requirements (both parties must be at least 18 years old to get married in Ontario. Parties who are 16 or 17 years old may marry only if they have the consent in writing of both parents)
- The parties are related as grandparent, parent, child, grandchild, brother or sister.
- One of both parties are currently married.
- One or both parties are mentally ill or under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drugs and incapable of understanding the nature of the marriage contract and the duties, obligations and responsibilities that result from marriage.
Civil marriage ceremony: $250.00 plus HST
Witness fee: $25.00 per witness should staff be required to act as witness.
Note: a $100.00 administration fee shall be retained by the City should the scheduled ceremony be cancelled after the booking.
Marriage licence: $135.00, taxes included (cash, debit, Visa, MasterCard or AMEX)