The City may consider applications to permanently close and purchase streets, lanes and walkways as public highway provided such closings comply with City policy.
The two step process involves:
- Closing the street, lane or walkway as public highway (administered by the Geomatics Division), and;
- Purchasing the closed parcel at fair market value (administered by Realty Services).
In addition to closing policies listed in the FAQ below, please note the following guidelines:
- The street, lane or walkway must be capable of being declared surplus by the City.
- Applications are normally accepted only from abutting property owners.
- The applicant must agree to purchase all of the street, lane or walkway being closed to ensure there are no remnant portions left landlocked.
- Applications to close larger parcels that have the potential to be used as a building lot will generally not be accepted as these parcels are typically sold by way of public auction.
- The applicant may be required to provide consents from property owners that are affected by the closing.
Prior to making an application please contact Gary Irwin, Chief Surveyor, Geomatics Division (519-661-2500 ext 5728) to ensure the application complies with City policies and applicable laws.
Street and lane closing applications are made by filling out the Street, Lane & Walkway Closing Application form and submitting it to the Clerk's Office, complete with supporting information and application fee.