The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-4500
Image of building under construction

What is a Zoning By-law

The City of London’s Zoning By-law establishes and regulates the use of land by implementing the policies of a City's Official Plan. It provides the municipality with a legally enforceable means of regulating land use and scale and intensity of development. Zoning also serves to protect areas by preventing incompatible uses, and establishing appropriate standards for development. Zoning by-laws contain specific, legal regulations - for example, what uses are permitted, how high buildings can be constructed, the maximum number of residential units allowed and the amount of off-street parking required.

How does zoning work?

The City is divided into "zones", where different land uses are permitted. There are zones, for example, which permit single detached dwellings, while others permit apartment buildings, and still others permit shopping centres or industrial uses. In the older or developed areas of London, most of the lands are zoned for specific uses or ranges of uses commonly found in an urban municipality. In undeveloped parts of the City, land is often in a zone which does not allow urban development, unless an amendment to the Zoning By-law is approved.


What happens if my current zone does not allow for a use?

Sometimes there are situations where the zone applied to a property does not meet the intent or the desires of a property owner.  An application to amend the Zoning By-law can be made that will be public evaluated by municipal staff with a decision on the application made by City Council.  See more

Last modified: