For the most up-to-date information about COVID-19 impacts on City programs and services, visit our COVID-19 page.
The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)3-1-1 (within London)

Consents and Severances

Applications for consents are submitted to the London Consent Authority by email at (if files are too large, please email to request a File Transfer Protocol [FTP] link). It is recommended that prior to making your application you follow the procedure outlined below. For more information about what is a Consent or Severance, see the Severances and the London Consent Authority page.

  1. Download an application form from the Application Forms page.
  2. Read the detailed instructions (pages 1-2) regarding making an application and familiarize yourself with the process, expectations and requirements of the entire package.
  3. Submit your detailed conceptual site plan, survey and/or diagram (as outlined in Section 14, p.7 of the application form) to a Business Zoning Coordinator on the 7th floor of City Hall, (or by email at so that they may complete a "zoning referral record" (APP-1, p.10 of the application form). If Site Plan Approval is also required, a zoning referral record should be obtained through Site Plan Consultation. For more information on Site Plan Consultation see the Consultation for Planning Act Applications page.
  4. Once you have obtained a complete and signed zoning referral record it is strongly  recommended that you speak with a Planner about the planning aspects of your potential application.  At this stage the Planner will identify (based on the zoning referral record completed and your supporting documents) issues, challenges or hurdles that your application may encounter.  After speaking with a Planner you may be advised to speak with an Engineer (or other authority such as the Upper Thames Conservation Authority) to confirm servicing, access, stormwater, environmental or other issues that your proposal may create or exacerbate.
  5. Once you are confident that your application is complete you can submit the zoning referral record, the application, supporting materials and documents and proof of payment of the applicable fee to Development Services by email at (if files are too large, please email to request a File Transfer Protocol [FTP] link).

Note: As of December 2, 2020, the Committee of Adjustment will act as the consent-granting authority for consents related to lot creation and/or in conjunction with variances to zoning regulations. Please be advised that a public hearing will be required for all Consent applications considered by the Committee of Adjustment.

For a list of frequently asked questions about the consent process, click here or contact the Consent Authority by email or use the number to the right. 

Don't forget - Once you have received provisional consent you have one year to satisfy all of the associated conditions.  Failure to do so means the consent lapses (reverts back) and no refund is granted.

Last modified: