The City of London is in the process of developing an Urban Agriculture Strategy. The primary goal of the Urban Agriculture Strategy is to work with the community to develop a strategy to direct urban agriculture efforts within the City of London.
The City of London is teaming up with Evergreen to develop the Urban Agriculture. Evergreen will act as the ‘backbone facilitator’ and partner by providing expertise and support to the City in the development of the Urban Agriculture Strategy.
For more information, or to receive updates contact Leif Maitland
Community Meeting - Draft Strategy Review
A first draft is available for public review below.
The City of London and Evergreen will be holding a Community Meeting to discuss the draft strategy with community members May 11, 2017 at St Peter’s Cathedral Auditorium, 506 Richmond from 6:30 to 8:30PM.
Register for the community meeting by registering at the following link:
Urban Agriculture Inventory
As part of the strategy an inventory of existing and potential site for urban agriculture activities is being developed. Please take a moment to review the draft inventory below.
If there is something you would like to add you can do so by completing the following form.
Community Visioning Workshop
On February 4, 2017 a community visioning workshop was held at Goodwill Industries to frame the development of the Urban Agriculture Strategy. Discussions included defining urban agriculture, developing guiding principles, an analysis of gaps and a deeper discussion of potential urban agriculture programs and projects for London. A copy of the day’s presentation is available below.
Urban Agriculture Community Workshop Presentation - February 4, 2017
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference which guides the development of the strategy is available here: Urban Agriculture Strategy – Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference provide for a final Urban Agriculture Strategy which will:
- Establish a vision and goals for the City regarding food growth, food processing and food distribution within the urban area of the city;
- Determine the roles for the community and the City, both regulatory and operational support, in the implementation of the strategy;
- Evaluate the Official Plan, Zoning and other municipal By-laws and programs with respect to their role in urban agriculture for the City;
- Analyze and evaluate options for City lands that may be used for the purpose of urban agriculture; and,
- Prepare and implement any necessary amendments to City policies, by-laws and procedures determined through the Urban Agriculture Strategy.
Previous Drafts and Reports
Report to Planning and Environment Committee – December 12, 2016
Draft Terms of Reference - September 6, 2016
Report to Planning and Environment Committee - September 6, 2016