The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)

Obtaining a New Residential Rental Unit Licence

How to Apply for a New Residential Rental Unit Licence


1. Obtain an application package by doing one of the following:


2. Attach/Include Required documentation:

  • An application form completed for each rental property
  • A floor plan that identifies the location of all rooms, windows, and entrances/exits.
  • Fire Inspection Report*.

*If a City of London Fire Prevention inspection has occurred within the last two years,

provide the approved report with your application. If an inspection has not been

completed, we will accept your application and request the inspection on your

behalf. The Fire Prevention Office will then contact you to schedule the inspection.

Note: If an agent is acting on your behalf, complete an Owner’s Authorization Form.


3. Payment of Fees

The fee breakdown is as follows:

Application that does not require a fire inspection $165

Application that does require a fire inspection $165 + $171 = $336


4. Submit A Complete Package

Ensure all forms are submitted together as a complete package. Online application submission is not yet available. Incomplete packages will not be processed. You are required to mail or drop off all required documents (application, floor plan, fire inspection report ‐ if applicable ‐ and payment):


By Mail:

City of London Licensing Office

P.O. Box 5035

300 Dufferin Avenue, London ON

N6A 4L9


In-person during regular business hours:

We accept cash, Mastercard, Visa, cheque, money order or debit.


Building Division
300 Dufferin Avenue, 7th Floor
London, ON
N6A 3R2

Office Hours:
8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Excluding holidays

Important to Remember:

  • Rental licence applications will be reviewed by a zoning officer prior to acceptance.
  • If the property does not comply with the Zoning by‐law, options may be available to you to achieve compliance.  Contact the City to discuss options.
  • New rental licence applications will be required to have a property standards inspection
  • The Residential Unit Licence will be mailed to you upon approval. This Licence is valid for one year from the date of approval.
  • Post the Licence inside the rental unit(s) near the front entrance(s).
Last modified: