The City of London has updated its Business Licensing By-law.
The introduction of the new by-law has been an ongoing process with new and updated topics/categories introduced over the last several months, as listed below. We received valuable feedback through industry consultation and from the eight public participation meetings that were held.
We are now able to present to you our new business licensing by-law which received full Council approval on December 12, 2017. It will be in force and effect on April 2, 2018.
OPEN FOR PUBLIC COMMENT - UNTIL FEBRUARY 2, 2018
The Licence Manager has the authority to implement minor regulations outside of the Council-approved by-law. Draft regulations for applicable categories have been compiled. Please review these draft regulations associated with your business licence category, if applicable, and share your comments with us before Friday, February 2, 2018 by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOR THOSE WITH ACTIVE BUSINESS LICENCES:
Most, if not all businesses, would have received mail advising them that the usual December 31st expiry date has been extended due to this amendment process.
Please note: Your licence has been extended until April 2, 2018. You will receive a hard copy renewal notice in the mail prior to this date. Please check this site often for updates related to your licence. Visit this page for details surrounding new applications and renewals.
WATCH THE MEETINGS: If you are interested in watching any of the meetings related to the business licensing review process, you can visit our YouTube channel and click on the CPSC videos.
Community and Protective Services Committee - Previous Meeting Dates and Subject Matter:
Meeting #1 - Completed January 24, 2017
- Pay Day Loan Lenders, Cheque Cashing, etc.;
- Door to Door Sales.
Meeting #2: Completed February 22, 2017
- Donation Bin Operators;
- Contractor Licensing (including pool installers, driveway contractors, mobile sign installers).
- Personal Service Establishments (hair, nails);
- All Tobacco and Electronic Cigarette Sales (cigars, e-cigarettes, e-juice, etc.);
Meeting #3: Completed April 25, 2017
- Commercial parking facilities.
- Seasonal sales business.
- Pet shops.
- Public halls
Meeting #4: Completed May 24th, 2017
- Food premises (eating establishments, restaurants, food shops, etc.)
- Refreshment vehicles (food trucks, carts, etc.)
- Public garages
Meeting #5: Completed June 20th, 2017
- Adult Entertainment. See September 12 meeting date for draft regulations.
Meeting #6: Completed July 18th, 2017
- Second hand shops/stores.
- Lodging Houses (All types)
Meeting #7: Completed September 12th, 2017
- Unauthorized towing and storage.
- Adult Live Entertainment Parlour.
- Adult Body Rub Parlour.
Meeting #8: Completed October 4th, 2017
- Public participation meeting to review the full draft version of the business licensing by-law
- Read the staff report
- Review the draft by-law
Meeting #9: Completed December 5th, 2017
- Committee meeting to review the full draft business licensing by-law
- Watch the meeting - access the video by selecting agenda item #12
- Read the staff report
- Review the final business licensing by-law that was submitted to Committee
Meeting #10: Completed December 12th, 2017
- Council meeting to review the full draft business licensing by-law
- Received full Council approval
Link to our current business licensing by-law that is in effect until the new by-law is in place on April 2, 2018.
In Person: 7th floor, City Hall. 300 Dufferin Ave, London, Ontario.