The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)

History of London - 1946 to 1976


The Thames River features in many of the highlights of this timeline section; primarily related to either the threat of flood or control measures undertaken. For example, a point of land at the London Rowing and Boating Club was removed and the river dredged. The Upper Thames Valley Conservation Authority was established and the Fanshawe Dam built. Housing initiatives included the construction of 186 units at Bellwood Park and a new facility for senior citizens (Dearness Home) opened. A municipal transit system was created with its operations handled by a Transportation Committee. Construction and re-construction of water treatment facilities occurred at the west and east end of the city and the sewer system extended. Storybook Gardens was created in Springbank Park and an arena and the coliseum added to the grounds of Western Fair. In addition to HM Queen Elizabeth II and H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh, London was host to a wide array of visiting Canadian and foreign dignitaries among them a French ambassador and former Chancellor of Austria.

Expand All
Collapse All
  • 1946
    • Gen. Henry Duncan Graham Crerar, former Commander-in-Chief 1st Canadian Army, visits January 7.
    • Special Traffic Conference appointed January 14.
    • Housing projects with Housing Enterprises Ltd., started.
    • Bellwood Park - 186 units.
    • Comfort Place - 48 apartments.
    • F. Ray Lawson appointed Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario.
    • Emergency Shelter Committee appointed July 26.
    • $1.00 lot and integrated housing schemes launched.
    • Count J. M. F. de Hautecloque, French Ambassador, visits November 13.
    • H.M.C.S. Middlesex foundered in Bay of Fundy, December 2, 1946.
    • Foundation of London and Suburban Planning Board, October 21.
    • R. H. Cooper appointed City Clerk.
  • 1947
    • ​Sir Alexander and Lady Clutterbuck, British High Commissioner to Canada, visit January 24. 
    • Alderman E. W. Curtis resigned November 24. 
    • Flood threat April 5 and 6. Emergency shelters temporarily closed at St. Julien Park and residents transferred to Crumlin. 
    • Special Council Meeting re Flood, April 8, and appropriation of $50,000 for local control measures, increased at estimates to $117,000 for 1947, with estimated overall expenditures of $134,999. 
    • Certain buildings at Crumlin Airport leased from Dominion Government for $1 per year per building, to be used as Emergency Shelters April 17.
    • Freedom of City conferred on Barbara Ann Scott, World's Figure Skating Champion, May 7.
    • Investiture Ceremony held by His Excellency the Right Honourable Viscount Alexander of Tunis, Governor-General of Canada, during official visit to the City on May 29.
    • Upper Thames Valley Conservation Authority established at Woodstock, May 7. First meeting held at Stratford on October 20.
    • James S. Bell, City Treasurer, retired September 1 after more than 61 years of service. Civic banquet tendered and Freedom of City conferred September 19.
    • Dr. J. C. Wilson appointed first Chairman Upper Thames Valley Conservation Authority, October 20.
    • New Adelaide Street Bridge opened November 11.
    • Most Reverend George Frederick Kingston, Primate of all Canada, visits November 24.
    • W. S. J. Saunders appointed City Treasurer.
    • Hon. Ray Lawson, Lieutenant-Governor of Ontario, official visit to London.

  • 1948
    • ​Mr. A. E. Silverwood establishes an endowment to be known as the Silverwood Foundation for promoting Religious, Educational and Charitable purposes in London and Western Ontario.
    • Parking meters (manual and automatic type) installed in the city.
    • Civic Pension Plan inaugurated by the City of London for its employees based on future service.
    • Visit of Dr. Kurt Von Schuschnigg, former Chancellor of Austria, and Freedom of City conferred, March 31.
    • Established a set sale price for city-owned lands and eliminated 50% discount.
    • Purchased the property of the London Rowing and Boating Club and removed the point of land projecting into the River Thames, as a flood control project.
    • Expanded emergency shelter accommodation at London City Airport and inaugurated a temporary school on airport grounds. Emergency shelters at Queen's Park were closed owing to resumption of Western Fair and arrangements made to close Rectory Street School Shelters.
    • Entered into a five-year contract with K. W. Smith for the disposal of sewage sludge, effective December 1.
    • R. W. Garrett appointed City Engineer.

  • 1949
    • ​Work started on Eaton-Wilcox-Rich plant.
    • Secured General Motors Diesel plant - located in London Township.
    • Alderman J. F. Gerry resigned September 19.
    • Alderman W. C. Northey died in office - September.
    • E. R. Nichols appointed September 7 to complete balance of Alderman Northey's term.
    • Bought site for East End Fire Hall, situated on S. Florence Street, east of Eva Street.
    • Purchased land for diverting York Street into Florence Street.
    • Construction of first part of stock Coliseum for Western Fair at price of $408,000.
    • Further deepened cut at London Rowing and Boating Club (The Forks), at a cost of $11,513.00 at the request of Thames Valley Authority.
    • Opened negotiations with CPR re overhead bridge at Oxford Street.
    • Authorized submission to the electors entitled to vote on money by-laws of a by-law to provide further $600,000 for construction of an Arena and Coliseum. Result of vote: For - 9,593. Against - 4,423.
    • Authorized submission to the electors entitled to vote on money by-laws of the question of the establishment of a transportation system to be municipally-owned and operated by a Transportation Commission. Result of vote: Yes - 7,670. No - 5,983.
    • Authorized submission to a vote of the electors of three questions dealing with the composition of the City Council.
    • Election of City Council by general vote. Result of General Vote: Yes - 6,465; No - 15,290.
    • Increase of Aldermen from 8 to 12. Result of vote: Yes - 5,312; No - 16,553
    • Election of City Council for a two-year term. Result of vote: Yes - 11,028; No - 11,406.
    • Passed a by-law regulating and licensing Public Halls.
    • Passed new Zoning by-law based upon recommendations of the London & Suburban Planning Board to come into effect upon approval by the Ontario Municipal Board. 
    • Construction of an addition to the West End Sewage Disposal Plant.
  • 1950
    • ​Annexed approximately 120 acres in the Hale-Trafalgar district of London Township for a housing development with Central Mortgage and Housing Corporation and the Province of Ontario.
    • Addition and equipment to Lady Beck and Ryerson Public Schools.
    • Authorized issuance of $1,000,000 debentures for the purchase of the shares of the London Street Railway Company, after approval by vote of the ratepayers.
    • Passed a by-law to expropriate a portion of land in London Township, east of Hale Street and south of Dundas Street to be used for Park purposes, to be operated in conjunction with the Kiwanis Club.
    • Authorized changing the Ward Boundaries to equalize the population in each of the four wards. 
    • Kiwanis Bandshell in Victoria Park opened June 26.
    • The Stock Coliseum, Western Fair Grounds, was completed in 1950.
  • 1951
    • ​Debentures of $1,095,825 authorized for Fanshawe Dam construction.
    • Institute of Public Health Building on South Street donated to City by the University of Western Ontario, and Health Department moved there from City Hall.
    • The Emergency Shelters closed April and later deferred action due to large number of evictions pending.
    • Convention of Canadian Federation of Mayors and Municipalities held in City.
    • City audit taken over by G. A. Touche & Co.
    • Visit of Rt. Hon. Sir Denys Lowson, Lord Mayor of London, England, and Lady Lowson to open Western Fair.
    • Visit of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, October 14.
    • Major T. E. A. Hobbins appointed Adult Probation Officer.
    • 2,000 telephones in London and vicinity changed to dial system.
  • 1952
    • ​Made application to Ontario Municipal Board for approval of a by-law to annex parts of London Township to the City.
    • Alderman A. E. Bettam died in office May.
    • A. Bryce Tapp appointed Alderman June 2 to complete balance of Alderman Bettam's term.
    • Authorized the printing of the Assessment Roll.
    • City Treasurer W. S. J. Saunders retired and Harry Sing appointed Treasurer.
    • Authorized debentures $848,594.00 for Home for Aged and work on Home commenced. 
    • Three Commissioners appointed to operate the London Transportation Commission. 
    • Observed St. George's School Centenary. 
    • Authorized payment of past service pensions to civic employees. 
    • Reconstruction and enlargement of East End Sewage Treatment Plant.
  • 1953
    • ​Sold debentures in the amount of $2,558,843.26 to A. E. Ames & Co. Ltd. and Associates for $2,509,969.35.
    • Authorized $58,000 debentures for East End Fire Hall.
    • Additions to South Collegiate and Sir Adam Beck Collegiate.
    • London West Outdoor Skating Rink and Community Centre authorized and completed.
    • Fanshawe Dam opened with park and boating facilities.
    • Completed purchase and opened Thames Street parking lot.
    • People voted 13,079 to 9,516 for leasing Market Square to private corporation for the construction of a market and parking building. 
    • First election under two-year term for mayor and aldermen.
  • 1954
    • ​Acquired the Meyer Brenner property on Bathurst Street to extend the works yard.
    • Silverwood outdoor skating rink completed.
    • Obtained option to purchase on General Steel Wares York St. property for $585,000.00; submitted to the ratepayers and was defeated on a vote of 3,714 (for) to 7,811 (against).
    • Commenced work on new South Branch Library at a cost of $77,000.00.
    • Extension of the London Y.M.-Y.W.C.A. commenced at a cost of $1,100,000.00 including furnishings and equipment.
    • Marian Wing of St. Joseph's Hospital opened, adding 102 beds and south wing, adding 70 beds.
    • Addition to H. B. Beal Technical and Commercial High School.
    • Erection of a Police Garage Building.
    • Construction of a storm sewer in the Trafalgar-Pegler Street area and east of Highbury Ave., south of Burslem Street and north of Brydges Street. 
    • Oxford St. Bridge and CPR Overpass constructed.
    • The Dr. John Dearness Home for Elder Citizens which is situated on a 57 acre tract of land on the northwest corner of Southdale and Wellington Roads was bought from the Federal Government on the condition that it be used for senior citizens only. The initial building was opened June 15 and accommodated approximately 300 people.

  • 1955
    • ​North-South runway extended at London City Airport.
    • Authorized $210,000 debentures for the construction of a new central fire hall at York and Waterloo Streets.
    • London celebrates Centennial Year with birthday party at Hotel London, January 1, and celebrations June 30 to July 9.
    • London and Port Stanley Railway assets vested in City March 31.
    • Authorized $145,000 for purchase of first diesel locomotive for London and Port Stanley Railway.
    • London South Outdoor Skating Rink authorized and completed.
    • E. T. Skelton appointed City Engineer, July 1.
    • Opened negotiations with C.N.R. for construction of subway at Adelaide Street.
    • Civil Defense Headquarters moves to Bathurst Street.
    • First properties acquired for Marshall Street parking lot.
    • Council authorized expenditure of $29,420. for Tax Accounting equipment to be installed in 1956.
    • Authorized $620,000 debenture issue to extend West End Sewage Treatment Plant. Took preliminary steps to establish two redevelopment areas:
    • Dundas Street, Wellington St., C.N.R., Clarence Street.
    • Ridout Street, Thames River, Wilson Ave., Blackfriars Street.
    • Opened negotiations with Ridout Real Estate Ltd., regarding Regent Square Development.
    • Thames River clean-up program formulated and improvements begun.
    • Established Family Court in City of London. 
    • Mayor Allan J. Rush resigned March 29 on being appointed Superintendent of the Dearness Home. 
    • Alderman G. E. Beedle appointed Mayor on April 1 to serve balance of term. 
    • S. H. Lee appointed Alderman April 4 to complete balance of Alderman Beedle's term. 
    • Mayor G. E. Beedle resigned August 8 on being appointed Superintendent of Dearness Home, following the death of Allan J. Rush on July 9. 
    • Alderman R.A. Dennis appointed Mayor on August 8 to serve balance of term. 
    • W. C. B. Howard appointed Alderman August 10 to complete balance of Alderman Dennis' term. 
    • Fred Landon Branch of Library, South London, opened on September 8.
  • 1956
    • ​Outdoor Skating Rink at Grosvenor and Elliott Street.
    • Construction of the G.A. Wheable Collegiate Vocational Institute.
    • Entered into contract with Putherbough Construction Co. Ltd. for the construction of a new Central Fire Hall at the north-east corner of York and Waterloo Street.
    • Zoning by-law passed, zoning Chelsea Heights and Vauxhall areas.
    • Passed a by-law establishing a County Mutual Aid Fire system on a reciprocal aid basis.
    • Entered into a 30-year lease with Covent Garden Building Incorporated with respect to the Covent Garden Market Property. Parking first permitted in the new building on December 7.
    • James F. MacLaren Associates engaged to undertake a sewer survey.
    • Tax Accounting using mechanical equipment, partially instituted.
    • Ross Street extended Adelaide to Taylor Streets and Registered Plan put on land in conjunction with Lankin and Ryerson.

  • 1957
    • ​Entered into an agreement with the London Life Insurance Company to carry the supplementary group annuity plan.
    • Entered into an agreement with the County of Middlesex to establish a joint Civil Defense Committee.
    • Acquired properties in area bounded by Wellington-Dufferin and Princess for new site for City Hall.
    • London & Port Stanley Railway passenger service discontinued February 18.
    • Dr. H. J. Lambert appointed Medical Officer of Health November 4.
    • C.O. Logan appointed City Treasurer May 1.

  • 1958
    • ​Richard E. Crouch Branch Library opened April, 1958.
    • Storybook Gardens in Springbank Park opened in June.
    • McClure Subdivision, 160 acres, bounded on the north by Base Line Road, on the south by Commissioners Road, on the west by L. & P.S. Railroad, and on the east by Pond Mills Road, annexed by City, July 1.Covent Garden Market Parking Building addition construction commenced in July.
    • Ambulance Service agreement entered into by City with Ballantyne's Ambulance Service, September 2.
    • Official Opening by the Honourable H.M. Cass, Minister of Highways, of the west end sewage treatment plant on Wildwood Avenue in the Township of Westminster and the bridges constructed at Wharncliffe Road, Egerton Street (Vauxhall), and Highbury Avenue CPR Overpass, September 9.
    • Traffic Study commenced by A. D. Margison & Associates Ltd., of conditions affecting traffic, October 21.
    • W. C. Mathers appointed Fire Chief, November 1. 
    • A. K. Rowntree appointed City Engineer, November 1. 
    • Victoria House, London's Historical Museum, opened November 7. 
    • Entered into contract with Ellis-Don Limited regarding the construction of Dearness Home addition, November 10. 
    • C.O. Logan appointed Finance Commissioner and City Treasurer, December 1. 
    • Vote taken and passed regarding the extension of the municipal franchise to all persons over the age of 21 years.
    • Wharncliffe, Vauxhall Bridges and Highbury CPR Overpass constructed.
  • 1959
    • ​Annexation hearings commenced April 27.
    • Formation of Allen Towe Acres Ltd.
    • Opening of C. C. Carrothers School.
    • Started erection of Wellington Square Inc.
    • Royal Visit of H.M. the Queen and H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh, July 3.
    • Establishment of two City of London Queen Elizabeth Scholarships valued at $1,000 each.
    • Commencement of Chelsea Heights and Glen Cairn Woods rental projects.
    • Alderman T. T. Ferris resigned September 8.
    • A. Grant appointed Alderman September 11 to complete balance of Alderman Ferris' term.

  • 1960
    • ​Annexation decision of Ontario Municipal Board issued May 9.
    • Wellington Square constructed.
    • Visit of Their Excellencies Major-General G.P. Vanier, Governor-General of Canada, and Madame Vanier, on October 28.
    • Election for new City with 7 wards, 14 Aldermen, 4 Controllers and Mayor held December 12.
    • M.M. Dillon & Co. Ltd., started design of Adelaide St. C.N.R. Overpass.
    • Chipman-Lazarides & Associates started preliminary design for Highbury Avenue C.N.R. Overpass.
    • Gordon Adamson & Associates engaged as Architects for new City Hall and submitted 2 models on May 2. 
    • Wellington Square opened on August 11.
  • 1961
    • ​Annexation effective January 1. City enlarged from 8,019 acres to 42,550 acres with population of 162,184.
    • Board of Control established by order of the Ontario Municipal Board.
    • Byron Fire Hall opened 12:01 a.m. January 1.
    • Engineering, Planning, Building, Traffic and Welfare Departments established in City Hall Annex at 303 Dundas Street.
    • Association of Ontario Mayors and Reeves Convention June 25-28.
    • Microfilming of Assessment Rolls and City Clerk's files started.
    • City of London Planning Board created effective March 6.
    • City granted $120,000 to St. Joseph's Hospital, payable over 8 years to assist in construction of 6 million dollar addition.
    • Former Alderman J. P. Robarts became Premier of Ontario on November 8. 
    • A grounds superintendent brings 10 black squirrels from London, Ontario, to the Kent State University campus where the "naturalized" denizens are now annually celebrated in the Kent, Ohio Black Squirrel Festival.
  • 1962
    • ​The Adelaide - C.N.R. Overpass constructed.
    • Negotiations begin with respect to Quebec Street-CPR Overpass.
    • Canadian National Railways announces new Station Hotel and Office Building to be constructed on York Street.
    • James F. MacLaren & Associates report on sewers is received.
    • Announcement of enlargement of Greenway Pollution Control Centre.
    • Highbury Avenue Fire Hall constructed.
    • Ontario Department of Highways begins new bridge and four-lane highway from Huron Street to Arva.
    • Alderman F. S. Gregory resigned February 5.
    • L. C. Lachapelle appointed Alderman March 5 to complete balance of Alderman Gregory's term.
    • Post Office on York Street constructed.
    • City Legal Department established May 1 and F. S. Gregory appointed City Solicitor.

  • 1963
    • ​The Board of Education vacated 3rd Floor of City Hall and established its own offices at Elmwood Avenue and Wortley Road in the Normal School Building. The 3rd Floor of City Hall was converted to a Board of Control Room, 2 Committee Rooms and space was allocated for Legal Department and Purchasing Department.
    • Additional microfilming equipment was purchased for rapid microfilming of documents and equipment was transferred from the Registry Office to permit microfilming of plans and assessment rolls.
    • L.A. Stevenson was appointed Superintendent of the Dearness Home effective January 2.
    • An agreement was entered into with the Ontario Department of Highways for the widening and reconstruction of Dundas Street from a point west of Highbury Avenue to Clarke Sideroad.
    • The extension of Highbury Avenue from the River Thames to Highway 401 was named "The Wenige Expressway" in honour of the late George A. Wenige who was Mayor of London for nine terms.
    • The addition to St. Joseph's Hospital, Richmond and Grosvenor Streets, was completed.
    • Construction commenced on the new Airport at Crumlin.
    • Construction commenced on the addition to the Greenway Pollution Control Centre.
    • New Canadian National Railway Station completed on York Street.
    • Visit by Sir Ralph Perring, Lord Mayor of London, England and conferring of freedom of the City. 
    • Alderman J. A. Irvine resigned May 21.
    • C.M. Peterson appointed Alderman May 27 to complete balance of Alderman Irvine's term.
    • Highbury-C.N.R. Overpass constructed.

  • 1964
    • ​Industrial Department established July 2 - Earle J. MacLeod appointed 1st Industrial Commissioner.
    • Dundas Street Sewer Project commenced - Thames River to Adelaide Street.
    • Quebec Street-CPR Overpass commenced.
    • Plan of Basic Land Use Study submitted by Proctor, Redfern, Bousfield & Bacon. Same firm undertook a school site study for Board of Education and Separate School Board and a Park and Open Space Study for the Public Utilities Commission, all of which are to be integrated into a revision of the Official Plan during 1965.
    • Western Road Fire Hall constructed.
    • Licence Bureau transferred from Police Dept. to City Clerk's Department - January 1.
    • Production of Assessment Rolls by Data Processing Method including business tax billing. Contracts let for construction of Byron storm and sanitary sewers.
    • Six Municipal Organizations held Conventions in City of London -
    • Ontario Traffic Conference - April 26-29.
    • Welfare Administration Association - May 5-7.
    • Assessing Officers Association - May 11-13.
    • Ontario Municipal Association - August 25-27.
    • Police Association - June 18-21.
    • Community Planning Association - September 28-30.
    • Alderman E.M. Shortt resigned September 21.
    • L.C. Lachapelle appointed Alderman September 28 to complete balance of Alderman Shortt's term.

  • 1965
    • ​Construction of Dundas Street Storm & Sanitary Sewers (Ridout to Adelaide) completed - May 18.
    • Former Dennisteel property on Dundas Street west of Ridout Street demolished and park at forks of Thames River established.
    • Unveiling of the Provincial Highway Systems Report at University of Western Ontario.
    • Allan Joynson and Derrick K. Schwartzel appointed Assistant City Engineers - March 1.
    • By-laws passed authorizing the destruction and retention of documents and certain records - March 15, September 7, and October 18.
    • Updating of Urban Renewal Study by Murray V. Jones and Associates Ltd. ordered, along with the preparation of one or more urban renewal schemes in areas to be identified within the study - March 15.
    • Official opening of Quebec Street Overpass (CPR) - August 30.
    • London Free Press Building on York Street constructed.
    • New building erected for the Ontario Hospital founded in 1870 and name changed to London Psychiatric Hospital.

  • 1966
    • ​L & P.S. sold to C.N.R. and operation of the railway by the C.N.R. effective January 1.
    • Contract awarded for construction of "Centennial Hall", London's official Centennial Project, to Ellis-Don Construction Limited. Philip Carter Johnson - Architect.
    • Agreement entered into with Covent Garden Building Incorporated for construction of underground parking garage at the Civic Square. Contract awarded for Civic Square including paving blocks and fountain.
    • Contract awarded to Philip Carter Johnson, Architect, for the preparation of plans for a City Hall as part of the Civic Square complex.
    • Wellington Street Sewer Construction, from Dundas Street to Princess Avenue, along with private drain connection along the fence line at the easterly limit of the Civic Square.
    • Dundas Street Reconstruction Programme completed, from Ridout Street to Wellington Street.
    • Authorization given for the reconstruction of Highbury Avenue, from Oxford Street to Kilally Road.
    • Alderman W. C. B. Howard died in office February 19.
    • D.J. Hamilton appointed Alderman March 21 to complete balance of Alderman Howard's term.
    • Margison Report was adopted as guide on October 3.
    • E. J. McLeod resigned from the position of Industrial Commissioner effective April 30 and W. H. A. Sparling was appointed to fill the vacancy effective June 20.
  • 1967
    • ​Canada's Centennial Year.
    • City Sponsored Centennial Celebrations:
    • June 21 - Centennial Hall, London's Centennial project, officially opened by The Honourable John P. Robarts, Q.C., Premier of Ontario. A Civic Dinner was held on the arcade level of the Hall followed by a symphony concert by the London Symphony Orchestra. (Ald.) Martin Boundy conducting.
    • June 22 - Open House held at Centennial Hall for the public to view the new building. Various forms of entertainment were provided in different sections of the building.
    • June 23 - Pops Concert held at Centennial Hall, with Mr. Bill Brady, Master of Ceremonies, along with Tommy Hunter and his Rhythm Pals, Debbie Lori Kaye, Joey Hollingsworth and the Earle Terry Singers.
    • June 24 - Folk Arts Day at Civic Square and Centennial Hall, conducted by the various local ethnic groups - dancing, international cuisine, etc.
    • June 25 - Inter-Faith Church Services held at Queen's Park.
    • June 30 - Centennial Ball held at Centennial Hall. A formal evening with entertainment by Vaughan Monroe and the Phil Murphy and Chris Black Orchestras.
    • July 1 - Canada's One Hundredth Birthday - Gigantic Centennial Parade followed by a Centennial Barbecue in Springbank Park and various large fireworks displays spaced throughout the City.
    • Alderman M.O. Collins unseated from office under Fiat of Supreme Court of Ontario dated January 5 as a result of his employment with the London Transportation Commission.
    • M.O. Collins, having resigned his position with the London Transportation Commission, appointed Alderman - April 27.
    • Urban Renewal Report & Scheme compiled by Murray V. Jones and Associates filed with City Council on May 8.
    • Covent Garden Building Inc. entered into agreement with the City to construct underground parking garage beneath Civic Square and construction commenced on March 22.
    • Sil-Joe Holdings Limited leased a part of Civic Square for 50 years to construct commercial and apartment building 10 storeys high.
    • City annexed 1196 acres east of city limits from Dorchester Twp.

  • 1968
    • ​Mayor F.G. Stronach died in office January 1. 
    • The administration of justice was transferred to the Province of Ontario on January 1. 
    • Controller H. J. McClure appointed Mayor on January 8 to complete the balance of Mayor Stronach's term. 
    • Alderman F. H. Flitton appointed Controller January 12 to complete the balance of Controller McClure's term. 
    • W. B. Hagarty appointed Alderman January 29 to complete balance of Alderman Flitton's term. 
    • Controller N.A. Bradford resigned December 4. 
    • Alderman J. F. Gosnell appointed Controller December 23 to complete balance of Controller Bradford's term. 
    • J. P. McIntrye appointed Alderman December 27 to complete balance of Alderman Gosnell's term. 
    • Preparation of final plans and specifications for new City Hall was authorized on October 7. 
    • Alternate Freeway Route adopted on November 25. 
    • Contracts awarded in connection with the Dingman Creek Sewerage System. 
    • Contracts awarded in connection with the Oakridge Acres Sanitary sewers. 
    • The contract for the Pottersburg Pollution Control plant was awarded on February 28 to Schwenger Construction Limited. 
    • The contract for the Adelaide Street storm sewer from the Thames River to South Street was awarded. 
    • On December 16, the City sold debentures in the amount of $7,234,814. This was a twenty year issue at 7 3/4% per annum. 
    • The following buildings were constructed
      Royal Bank Building, 383 Richmond Street at King Street
      C.N.R. Concourse, 197 York Street
      Office Building, 195 Dufferin Avenue
      Sir Frederick Banting Secondary School.
  • 1969
    • ​Assessment Department taken over by Province January 1.
    • Juvenile & Family Court under jurisdiction of Province of Ontario.
    • Visit of His Excellency The Right Honourable Roland P. Michener, Gov. Gen. of Canada, and Mrs. Michener to London on June 6.
    • The post of Deputy Mayor was created on May 5 and Controller M.A. Fullerton, being the Controller who received the most votes on the Board of Control at the preceding municipal election, and who was prepared to accept the appointment, was appointed to the post.
    • F. Gordon Stronach Memorial Arena named on January 9.
    • Senior Citizens Apt. Building at 1194 Commissioners Road.
    • Construction of Water Reservoir (Commissioners Road).
    • Construction of Montcalm Secondary School.
    • Univac computer installed in City Hall, September 1969.

  • 1970
    • ​Construction started on the addition to the Dearness Home.
    • Chest clinic was taken over by the Province of Ontario from the City Health Department.
    • City annexed 100 acres in south end of City from Westminster Township.
    • R. Morley appointed Fire Chief - June 1.
    • Council committees restructured to 4 standing committees to be effective January 1, 1971.

  • 1971
    • ​Middlesex-London District Health Unit, encompassing London Health Dept., established on January 1 with Dr. D. A. Hutchison as Medical Officer of Health.
    • City Solicitor F. S. Gregory appointed Judge and resigned as City Solicitor on January 8.
    • W. L. Moore appointed City Solicitor on November 29.
    • Council approved proceeding with Functional Study for an in-City London Freeway.
    • W. T. Johnson appointed Chief of Police February 15.
    • Moved into new City Hall at 300 Dufferin Avenue in February.
    • P.U.C. moved into new building in August, occupying 5th and 11th floors.
    • First Council meeting held in new City Hall on April 5.
    • Controller J. A. Irvine resigned on March 31.
    • Mrs. M. A. Fullerton appointed Controller April 5 to complete balance of Controller Irvine's term and resigned April 19.
    • F. H. Flitton appointed Controller on April 22 to complete balance of Controller M. A. Fullerton's term.
    • Controller A. D. Cartier appointed Deputy Mayor on April 5 to fill vacancy created by resignation of Controller and Deputy Mayor J. A. Irvine.
    • A. F. Mandy appointed Manager of Visitors and Convention Services of Greater London which was established May 3 at 738 King Street.
    • Horton Street Extension from Richmond to Greenside approved, (Cl. 1-4, 16th Com. of Whole, May 11, 1971.)
    • City Clerk R. H. Cooper appointed Chief Administrative officer on May 17.
    • Deputy City Clerk W. S. Ross appointed City Clerk May 17.
    • No. 9 Fire Hall on Wellington Road, known as the McRonald Fire Hall, was opened July 1.
    • D. J. Date appointed Deputy Finance Commissioner and City Treasurer on September 7. 
    • Grand Opening of new City Hall on September 22, extending through to September 25.
    • Visit of Prime Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau on November 11.
  • 1972
    • ​Reduced bus fares for Senior Citizens, effective January 1.
    • Mayor J. F. Gosnell resigned due to illness on March 6.
    • Controller J. E. Bigelow was elected by Council on March 15 to complete Mayor Gosnell's term, becoming London's first woman mayor.
    • F. H. Flitton appointed Controller on March 22 to complete balance of Controller J. E. Bigelow's term.
    • Controller E. A. Blake elected Deputy Mayor.
    • The London Development Commission received its Letters Patent on March 21.
    • London Little Theatre changed its name to Theatre London and became a semi-professional theatre.
    • Saunders Secondary School opened, the most modern secondary school in Ontario.
    • The University Hospital opened on September 21.
    • Sir Adam Beck Sanatorium for chest diseases closed on November 4. 
    • Hotel London razed and work started on the construction of the City Centre Project.
  • 1973
    • ​D. J. Date appointed Finance Commissioner on March 1 on the retirement of C. O. Logan.
    • Westmount Mall was officially opened in March with 60 stores and services, and was then the biggest shopping plaza west of Toronto.
    • Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, visited the City of London. Highlights of their visit were a Civic Luncheon with approximately 525 persons in Centennial Hall in honour of Her Majesty's visit and a walk-about in Victoria Park by the Royal couple.
    • August 7 - disaster struck when a gas explosion in the area bounded by Oxford-Wharncliffe-Mt. Pleasant resulted in damage to or destruction of 24 homes.
    • Judge Killeen, County Court Judge, on October 26 unseated three City Aldermen from Council for conflicts of interest, namely, Aldermen T. T. Ferris, A. A. James and O. B. Watts, all school teachers, for voting on a matter with financial implications for their employer, the London Board of Education. Because the three have rendered years of outstanding service to the community, only a two week disqualification was handed down.
    • Official opening of the Queen's Avenue Bridge on September 17.
    • Council authorized the construction of a new Police Administration Building at the corner of Dundas and Adelaide Streets. 
    • Victoria Hospital and the Corporation of the City of London sever their relationship and land and building were transferred to the new Victoria Hospital Corporation, which is a non-profit, non-share Corporation incorporated with the consent of the Minister of Health with a Board of Directors composed of 15 appointed members.
  • 1974
    • ​Retirement of first Chief Administrative Officer, Reginald H. Cooper in September. Council authorized the renaming of Civic Square to Reginald Cooper Square in his honour.
    • Murray E. McLean appointed Chief Administrative Officer on the retirement of R. H. Cooper, September 23.
    • New Court House at 80 Dundas Street officially opened, December 3.
    • Robarts School-Regional Centre for the Hearing Handicapped officially opened, June 14.
    • Opening of City Centre at Dundas and Wellington Streets.
    • Introduction of the Emergency Reporting System number "911", for Police, Fire and Ambulance.
    • Official opening in November, of three bridges - Wellington Street Bridge, Adelaide Street North over Stoney Creek and C.N.R. Riverside Drive Bridge.
    • London Transit Commission moved to new Brydges Street garage, November 22.
    • Police Department moved into new Police Administration Building - Dundas and Adelaide Streets, October 30.

  • 1975
    • ​Holiday Inn-City Centre officially opened in August.
    • London hosted The "Ontario Summer Games", August 31 to September 3.
    • The Community Services Department established in September, M.C. Engels appointed Commissioner of Community Services.


  • 1976
    • ​City Council approved on February 16 the location of permanent offices for the Visitors and Convention Services in the lobby of City Hall.
    • Council on December 3 approved a 'Trade Dollar' promotion program. The first design of the coin consisted of the City Crest on one side and a likeness of Lieutenant-Governor John Graves Simcoe on the reverse side.
    • A sod turning ceremony for the Dundas Street West extension took place November 8 at Douglas and Mount Pleasant Avenue.
    • McKillop Park, November 29, was the site of a sod turning ceremony for the Hutton/Wonderland connection.