The official website of the City of London300 Dufferin Avenue519-661-CITY (2489)

Old East Heritage Conservation District


Image of Old East HCD MapThe Old East Heritage Conservation District encompasses the area within what was historically known as “the English Survey,” land originally owned by pioneer settler Noble English. This area was part of the former London Township until 1874 when London East began its short life as an incorporated municipality lasting until 1885 when it was amalgamated with the City of London. Sparked by the development of the early oil refinery industry and the establishment of the railways and related industries, London East became the economic engine for the City of London. From 1880-1930 London grew by an average of 1,000 people per year. Old East absorbed many of the immigrants who not only found jobs nearby, but also in the factories, retail shops, and wholesale enterprises downtown. Many workers employed in the plants and factories nearby lived in the Old East which evolved into a solid, prosperous community of wage-earners that supported the three block commercial area on Dundas Street.

Except for the frontage along Dundas Street, this entire area was developed as a residential area over a fairly long period, from 1860 to 1930. Today, structures reflect many different points in its development. Taken together with the remaining industrial and commercial structures adjacent to it, the entire area of Old East is a living archive of the historical development not only of London but of urban southwestern Ontario.

The Old East Heritage Conservation District was designated under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act in 2006. It includes over 1,000 properties.

Location

The boundary of Old East Heritage Conservation District encompasses the vast majority of residential development bounded by the west side of Quebec Street, Queens Avenue, Elias Street and Central Avenue and dwellings east of Adelaide Street excluding those fronting onto Adelaide Street.

Old East Heritage Conservation District Documents